Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ever been followed home?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Nov 23, 2023.

1. I was out with my OT Mustang 2 years ago, it is a attractive car to say the least. I had 2 guys in a van behind me as I turned off into my 'hood. I made a bunch of odd turns and they gave up. The last place I would go is home. The precinct was a hike, I was thinking of going to the fire house where there is almost always a cop car there.

2. I rarely have my garage door open unless I am on the driveway. Too many eyes out there and the word gets around as to who has what in their garage.

If someone comes by with someone that I do not know, the garage stays closed until I can vet the guy or guys.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I haven't been followed home, but have had plenty of guys holler "is it for sale" from the car next to me when driving down the street. I decided that 98% of them aren't serious, I think they just want to know what the car is worth.

mad mikey and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. 05snopro440

05snopro440

A friend of mine had a cool garage for his cars with a large collection of automotive clocks and neon signs. A car guy from down the street was having some work done on his property and without asking first brought the workers over to show them my friend's garage. He reluctantly showed them his garage. Within a week someone broke in and stole one of his neon signs.

My friend got a security system and swore never again.

I've had people walking up my driveway "can I look at your truck?" I just close the door and say no. Often it's when it's dark for some reason. Luckily I live in the country now so I don't have that problem anymore.

At the old place a neighbor I had never met who had a custom car or two asked if he could bring his buddy over to show him my truck. I politely declined.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  5. JD Miller

JD Miller

Just by cops and car thieves

and dudes approaching me at a gas station or store parking lot, want to know if I wanna sell my car or truck..... No ! get lost !

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never been followed home, but have been followed until I stopped for gas, or somewhere else. It was just someone wanting to get a closer look, or ask me questions about my cars. It's still not something I really appreciate, but it really depends on the person, and how they approach me.
    I've got an OT 1969 Suburban that sits on the street in front of our house all the time when I'm not using it. I get notes on the windshield and knocks on the door all thee time asking if I want to sell it. I send the people at the door away with a firm "NO", and just toss the notes in the garbage.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  7. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

8. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I am guilty of the opposite- a while back I saw a cool (OT) SS Chevelle turn down a road near to my house. I followed him home, parked close to the street, and asked him from a distance if I could look at his car. I told him I used to have one just like it (no shit, how many times have you heard that? But it's true). An older fellow (than me!) he said sure. After I told him I lived about a mile away and had an old Chevy truck, he invited me into his garage and showed me pictures of his past rides. Very trusting to say the least. Now I have a new friend. He's got a cool 55 Chevy now.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built my home in a gated subdivision and there is a second gate on my property that my cars sit behind. You'd be further ahead following Batman back to Wayne Manor in that ridiculous Futura.

Stogy, Tow Truck Tom and seb fontana like this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

56 Ford two door one night. Couple teenagers and claimed it had a 312, 3spd, and 4.11 gear. I had run them a couple stoplights on the way home from a date and beat them pretty easy. They thought they had done pretty good but were a little miffed when I showed them the 6 cyl engine in my 65 Comet. 240 carb and 4spd but otherwise stock.

Stogy and X-cpe like this.
  11. If the lawn service is over, it stays shut. My back yard gates are padlocked, I open one side on lawn cutting day. I have one shifty neighbor, he crept up on me as I was working on the Ford. He did get a look inside the garage, that was about it. I had a couple of OT cars in the driveway, no plates. Those were an open invitation to stop by. They are now gone. So is anything scrappable in plain sight.

One buddy knows of a guy with a warehouse collection. He and his brother were invited over, 40 to 50 GM cars on 2 levels. Pictures? Nope... they were sworn to secrecy regarding the location. Smart.

With covid and my 2020 retirement, me and my girlfriend were armed most of the time. On the back of my Snap-On box, I had a PVC pipe scabbard that held a short 12-gauge. I would take it with me when I was alone in the garage and had the door open.

X-cpe, loudbang and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I haven’t been followed home but I passed a guy on a country road in my single seater. he whipped a Shitty and started following me honking and waving for me to pull over, came to a stop on a section line stop sign and the guy starts yelling what the hell is that thing. I’m pretty sure was strung out on something so I yelled back it was a car and took off. 8DAEDDFF-D32A-451D-862F-1947914504C1.jpeg

38bill, Budget36, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Not followed but had my 50 chevy truck in the driveway covered by a tarp for a while as life got in the way. I cannot
    tell you how many times I came home to find some asswipe had uncovered it, then left a note on the door wanting
    to buy it. You trespass, don't even have the manners to cover it back up, then want to buy it for scrap price?

Stogy, Tow Truck Tom and mad mikey like this.
  14. I have been followed to gas stations, and one time the whole way to the York street rod nationals, that guy came up to me in the show and said, did you notice some ass hole following you from Harrisburg all the way here in a red Honda. I said yea, he explained, that was me and I love your hot rod and did not know exactly how to get here. We had a chat, nice guy. I have been followed home by Police, they just wanted to admire the car. I was doing some testing on the street and followed to my house by a older gentlemen in a van, he just wanted to see the coupe and talk, we are now friends. And in my younger days I have been followed home by several hot girls. No, really I was!;):) However I do not let people I don't know come into the shop at my house, I have to carefully vet them first. Most strangers do not ask to come in the shop, I look a little dangerous to most.:D

Stogy and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  15. Here's a slight twist on the "followed home" topic. "Following someone home" can also be a virtual/cyber issue too. There used to be an active member (actually husband and wife) on this site who posted pics of the inside of their garage, their vehicles/projects, their property, had named their town/state on this site, and posted when they would be away at car shows as well as mentioning they ran their business from their home property. Me, having learned from many that it isn't wise to post too much info on the internet, I decided, just for fun, I would try to determine their exact location ... it wasn't hard. I am literally in a different country than these folks but, with a small amount of putzing around on the internet, I was EASILY able to determine their exact address. I am not a computer hacker or computer expert of any kind, this was nothing more than using info that could be clearly seen or read in their posts. It was crazy how simple it was and it was kind of fun.

There is a VERY private (and extremely rich) individual with an amazing collection of exotic cars who lives in the Toronto area. He is so private that he has contacted a website/"chat" room that focuses on "chatting" about Ferrari's (;)) and has allegedly requested/demanded that his name never be mentioned on that site and if it is, REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY. He owns several Ferrari's (including an Enzo) as well as a bunch of other exotics and also races in the Ferrari Challenge (so his name is well known). After being surprised at how easily I was able to obtain the address of the people on this site that I mentioned earlier, again, from info EASILY and legally gleaned from their own posts, and knowing how private this guy is, I took on the personal challenge of trying to find out where rich Ferrari dude lives. It too wasn't hard.

A local car guy won something like $35 million in a lottery. His location, after he bought a big, gated compound to keep out the unwelcome was easily found as well.

My point is ... you may be aware of the car behind you but, if you put out too much information on the internet, there can be a LOT of people "following" you home without you having a clue. No need to close your garage door if everyone with a computer can relatively easily obtain your home/shop address after having already seen exactly what your shop has in it while also knowing when you'll be away, as well as the number and type of dogs you have.

There is a local(ish) guy who runs his welding/fabrication business out of a shop on his property. Just days ago he posted that he will be in Vegas with the wife from __ to __ o_O:eek::rolleyes:. That sort of thing is exactly what a person should NOT be posting.

Just something to think about :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Interesting story @borntoloze

Years ago while working for National Speed Sport News I was doing an interview with a prominent supermodified race car builder. At some point he showed me his bosses underground garage. Never seen anything like it, high end and up some HAMB era cars. What I could not figure out was how the cars entered and left the garage. There was no evidence of a door of any type, the builder said he could not say but the cars did come and go. That was in the Toronto area as well. Always wondered if the cars are still there.

seb fontana, Stogy, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  17. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Sounds like Gibbs and his boats on NCIS

Texas57, Tow Truck Tom and 51504bat like this.
  18. 327Eric

327Eric

I have A 59 El Camino in California. I trust no one. Numerous break in have backed my attitude.

Stogy, mad mikey and Budget36 like this.
  19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I worked Gun Shows on the side for years with my Dad seling custom made grips. The thieves started hitting trailers in the parking lot & stealing anything they could.
    The promoters hire parking lot security and add special vendor parking for us.
    Well the thieves get wise to now to who's who, & start to follow the dealers home after the shows end & steal the trailers & rob the them that way instead...
    (2 men lost thier lives in one attempt) ...

To keep this On Topic you guys with the fancy enclosed haulers with show cars or race cars ect.. pay close attention when you're heading home to anyone who might be following.

bobss396, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

Did you see on here someone stole the mooneyes trailer

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  21. Real smart to try to rob a gun show participant!!! "Gee, do you think they're packin'"

22. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I did, thats what made me think of it.
    Well they had alot of success until they didnt....
    I dont want to stray too O.T. but lets just say they didnt expect Mom & Pop would BOTH be packing. They let thier guard down & Grandma did what she had to do.
    Mods lemme know if I need to edit my post..

'28phonebooth likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Biker stuff ( colors ) long long forgotten life style . Too old , too smart and just like a roll of TP now, seems the closer to the end the faster it’s rollin by : TIME

Budget36, Lone Star Mopar and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These paralleled each other all throughout the Hamb era...even today I get the Biker wave in the Ole Hotrod even though it's a cage so to speak...but it’s a percieved rebellious cage in a way I suppose...all good...thanks Dave...yeah we're the oldies now...;)

mad mikey and deathrowdave like this.
  25. Mart

Mart

I was driving my modded ford thames 300E van one day and the guy following me flashed his lights and beckoned me to pull up. This was on a busy road, plenty of people about. I pulled up and he said he had a similar van in his back garden that he wanted to get rid of. I looked at it and didn't buy it but passed the info to a friend and he bought it.

safetythird and Stogy like this.
  26. I was followed to a cruise night by a young lady, she was in love with my car and took a bunch of pictures of it, she was way cute.

My son saw a picture of my car on FB in the gym parking lot, one of his friends that did not know it was mine had posted it. My other son, people at his job were talking about that old guy around town, covered with tattoos and the grey primered badass Ford... no way I would ever mess with him. Uh... that's my dad...

Budget36, Stogy and mad mikey like this.
  27. I know the feeling Bob, the drag coupe is a chick magnet.;):)

bobss396, Budget36, 57 Fargo and 2 others like this.
  28. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Waiting for someone to follow me home with a bag of cash!

bobss396 likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

same here. there was a guy on here a while back that showed his car build and his garage filled with many thousands of dollars of cool vintage speed parts. not to mention his tools. I knew what city he was in, and saw a store sign in the background of one picture and had his home on google maps in about 5 minutes.

it doesn't take much. the city, a street sign, a house with the address number showing. I've done the same thing with people I used to know. I started doing these searches looking to see if old buildings were still there that were in old pictures.

bobss396 likes this.
  30. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Back in 66 a state cop followed me home. He was not happy so he wrote me a ticket.

mad mikey likes this.