Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Even more reason to love mcmaster carr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you don't know where to find anything you need, look in McMaster-Carr catalog and it will be there and they have everything in stock. I would love to see their warehouse and their system of picking parts and shipping that can get parts out to the customer so quick and I never got a wrong part shipped to me either!

2. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I love McMaster I had no clue they had solid works I’ll have to look into that

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. makes it easy to stock up on fasteners, need 2 get 100 :).

4. topher5150

topher5150

Makes life so much easier especially if you need to make a BOM or if you designing something and you feel like spending a lot of time and money buying and reverse engineering parts to see what fits

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I bought a couple of double flare dies after I broke the little tit thingy. The sold me 3 replacement dies, who else would just sell the dies? Nobody

6. I download sldprt. files daily from there and use them in my designs. Always nice to have a finished model with components and all!!!!

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Just imagine what their warehouse looks like!

jim snow and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  8. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I think about that every time I place an order.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Malcolm likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

alanp561, williebill and Malcolm like this.
  10. I've been to the one down here a few times and it's f'ing huge. A customer used to be able to kinda see inside at all the racks but they changed it awhile ago a now they have a wall.

jimmy six and Malcolm like this.
  11. 1940Willys

1940Willys

And they will custom spring wind what ever you need!

12. 60 Special

60 Special
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

My story with McMaster-Carr goes back to about 1998. I was off during Christmas- New Years break and needed some nylon round stock to make some bushings. I ran all over town trying to find some stock with no luck. Came home and placed my first order, about 2 days later my material showed up. I now have an account with them and have their site on my browser. It's so easy to order up what I need and if I order early morning, it will be there the next day by evening. In all the years I've ordered from them, I've only "stumped" them a few times! I agree with what others have already said, their customer service is unbelievable.

enloe likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Too bad more guys don't adopt their business model, at a minimum their ìntegrity.
    On a personal level I've never bought from M/C but sourced a lot of misc. tool/fixture related when I ran the toolroom where I worked.
    For the nuts/bolt/hardware geek their catalog is addictive.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have been dealing with M-C since the late '60s and still have catalog 109 and 115 in my shop. If you check on E-Bay there are M-C catalogs for sale.

warbird1 and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. I just like the name.

Blue One and jimmy six like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a relative hidden in there Tim??

17. They are absolutely the first place I look when I need a couple of pieces of something quick.. I use them nearly every day at work and have a personal account with them that I use a few times a month. Very fast and accurate. Yes - they are not the cheapest option on the block, but my time is worth something too.

LAROKE likes this.
  18. I'm spoiled that I live pretty close. I can order up what I need and drive down to their Will Call area. If I have parts shipped it's always there the next day. They are a pleasure to deal with!!

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you put a value on your time, the slightly higher cost and delivery is worth it. They deliver to me with a private service and its around $5 and if I order in the afternoon its here before I get here in the morning. even called in an order on Sunday, Monday morning it was here. Basically as a business I can and do charge for items shipped (cost) and mark-up items bought. so they work out best for the customer and me, now if I have to chase something local, hard to charge the customer $65 for a $10 part because of time spent getting it or not charge at all

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly.

My time is not free, and I cannot manufacture more.

21. Truer words were never spoken. Perfect way of putting it.

22. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

my wife wanted to make some covid masks. she asked me about the self formed nose pieces. i said lets look at mcmaster-carr. showed her the 'glue on one side' thin aluminum. ordered it, got it, and had to make tiny strips for her. masks still working.

23. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

So far they have never disappointed, always delivered next day.

24. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I ordered some screws at 6PM on a weekday and got them the next day at 10:30 AM! Just awesome.

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

Years ago there were some caster wheels from McMaster Carr specified for a job at my fabrication business. They were some really heavy duty casters (and the product was very nice) and although I forget the quantity or price per unit they were quite pricy. I do recall the total for all caster wheels needed was about $6000. Even given the quantity of what was ordered they offered absolutely NO discount on the parts. No one warehouse had the quantity I needed so they were shipped in two shipments via truck and I was charged for both shipments. Even a slight, modest discount based on quantity would have been nice, but nope, nothing, nada. Did they do anything wrong? No, but it certainly didn't do anything to encourage me to do business with them again unless I had no other option. Personally, I lean to Grainger or MSC.

Lynn

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Will they deliver to a personal residential address there in the US?

Here in Canada I’ve tried to order from them but they won’t deliver to a home address.

I’ve placed orders and had them canceled for that reason.

They will deliver to a school or business address though.

So before I retired I had a few orders delivered to my work address at the school.

I don’t know what I would do now to place an order.

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’ve ordered from them and have had the product delivered to the house here in the US.

28. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Some laws passed in response to 9/11 put the onus on US businesses to verify anything they shipped to a foreign country wasn't going to someone who might use the goods as a part of a terrorist attack. McMaster's solution was to stop sales to individuals outside the US unless the person was already an established customer as the cost of compliance would be more than the value of the order in many cases.

29. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

About 25 yrs ago my dad agreed to have a couple of his guys repipe the hydraulics on a bucket truck in exchange for some work the truck owner would do for him. The owner had bought the truck in Florida, but the condition of the hydraulic tubing and fittings looked like might have been retrieved from the bottom of the Atlantic.

The fittings were some strange thing none of us had never seen before despite having been in the heavy equipment business and doing all sorts of hydraulic repairs since the late 60's. Replacing them with some other type of fitting wasn't an option as the strange part of the fitting was the part that screwed into the ports in all the valves and cylinders.

We needed about 60 of these fittings and I contacted Parker, Weatherhead, and a couple more of the big hydraulic fitting manufacturers. None of them made it, nor could any of them even identify what it was called or who might have made it.

I ended up buying fittings with a pipe thread that had enough meat to allow modifying it to the needed configuration. Between time looking for fittings, programming and setting up a cnc lathe to do the modifications, running the parts, and buying the fittings to modify, we easily had $30 apiece in the fittings.

A couple years later I was looking thru the McMaster catalog for something I needed. Flipped the catalog open and happened to land on a page with hydraulic tube fittings and it brought to mind those PITA fittings I'd modified. Turned to the next page, and there was the exact fitting I'd needed, for 6 bucks apiece. Ever since that time, I don't make or modify any damn thing until I've verified that I can't just buy it from McMaster.

LAROKE likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That makes sense and at the same time make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    I wasn't an established customer when I first ordered from them which was after 9-11.
    They said they would ship to any school or business address in Canada regardless of existing customer accounts but will not ship to a residential address.