Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Even more reason to love mcmaster carr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Sep 15, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I never heard anything bad about them. In the past I've always used them for their 3D solidworks models. Today was the first time buying something from them and I also found out that the have a phone app which you can order from....I may get myself in trouble with this.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mctim64, alanp561, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So the truth comes out ? Your a “Techi”:D

alanp561, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We probably order $40k from them at work, a week! Never a problem. Everything arrives the next day. When I was working at Downey Studios, we would get our deliveries later that same day!

Having the Solidworks models that exactly match what is on the way tomorrow AM, makes things a snap!

HemiDeuce, warbird1, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used McMaster Carr for years for many things needed from pulleys on a converted furnace fan to work as exhaust fan for a paint booth to the drive line in a converted peddle car to an electric car. I order and get it delivered next day if it $1 or $1000 don't mater same great service and good people to talk with if you have questions. boys 043.jpg car9.jpg car5.jpg

vor, Cosmo50, The 39 guy and 11 others like this.

5. noboD

noboD

I've dealt with them for over 30 years. NEVER had a problem. My saying for them is if they don't have it you don't need it.

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

They are a class act in my book as well.

rbrewer, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. 48stude

48stude

I love Mcmaster-Carr. I use their website to look for solutions. When UPS delivers to me , the driver says the package is from my favorite place. Bill

Roothawg and Thor1 like this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Definitely NOT cheap.
    They don't offer up the "brand" that you are buying though.
    Grainger at least tells you the brand of the item.

But yea, both Grainger and McMaster Carr have almost everything that mechanical and do it yourself type people need.

Mike

Thor1 and jimmy six like this.
  9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

McMaster is a real treat for those of us living in NJ, it has taken longer for pizza to get here than a delivery from them. That said, they are not cheap, and despite their stellar service, I have found myself going to different vendors on occasion to source parts.

I used them for Swagelok fittings for my air suspension project (McMaster uses Yor-Lok instead), but I eventually switched to Stainlesssteelfittings.com, that carried Parker, and were significantly less expensive. McMaster is great when the company is getting billed, but when it's money out of my pocket, I'm going to source the best value.

Thor1 likes this.
  10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ :cool:

alanp561 likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best part for me is I can drive over and pick up an order in 2 hours and the gas is less than the shipping. My job used them constantly and I always had one of their catalogs at home...

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Very true. I've tried with different folks on the other end of the phone to find out. No deal. I think their part of the Secret Service. ;)

Thor1 likes this.
  13. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I wish there more vendors who take their business as seriously as McMaster. Truly a class act

rbrewer and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was buying parts for the fruit juice plant I was the maintenance parts man in I kept their catalog on my desk all the time. The no minimum order size thing is a big deal when you can order the quantity you need rather than a box or case of something that will probably never get used up.
    I never had an issue with the quality of what they sold an never had a complaint from the mechanics using the stuff.

15. McMaster Carr, the Target store for gear heads. One look in their catalog, & it's all over with. just send them a blank check

alanp561 likes this.
  16. gatz

gatz

Also had great service from McMaster-Carr. Used them for years as a source for the machine tool business I was in.
    Kept hard copies of their catalogs at the ready next to the phone.
    Like has been said, if they didn't have it, you probably didn't need it.

Kudos to a well-managed company.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a side note it was always expensive but if you needed a small quantity or just one of something. A 2’ piece of aluminum stock, shim stock, or piece of plastic to machine you could get it and not need to store anything when done.

LAROKE likes this.
  18. topher5150

topher5150

I didn't want to pay $2 for a fender cage nut from Macs, and the egg sucker at fastenal couldn't function unless Google was involved. What really surprised me is that it was at my house in less than 24 hours.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. McMaster-Carr is one of those places that I would love to have two of everything from. Great quality stuff and great service. Most of the time when I need something on the farm, I don’t care what it costs, just get it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After Hurricane Hugo, we were rebuilding 130 damaged oil storage tanks at a Hess refinery on St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands and got some additional work thrown our way. The only problem was that the tools we needed wouldn't be available from our company's main warehouse in Tennessee for almost a week and we needed them by tomorrow. Took the tool list, called McMaster-Carr with a purchase order number and the tools were there by noon the next day. The air freight was considerably more than the tool cost but this was a cost plus job. I've never seen another company give that much effort to making a customer happy. Love them.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

From 1940
    upload_2020-9-16_14-47-30.png

upload_2020-9-16_14-50-56.png

Must be doing something right!

22. Oh yeah: the Yellow Book! Bought a lot of stuff from them when I worked in the aluminum plant, up until ALCOA took over and told us who we were to purchase from.

And used them a lot at the museum right up until I retired. May have cost a little more; but sometimes the job couldn't wait the 3-5 days a local vendor would take to get the part.

23. Definition of service: McMaster/Carr

24. cfmvw

cfmvw

More often than not, McMaster has been my go-to for various items. I find that they have a lot of things that aren't available anywhere else, and their CAD drawings have been a lot of help when I am building a new project.

25. jim snow

jim snow

We used them quite often on line striping crew. Absolutely the best.jmho

26. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’ve been using them for over 25 years and have all the great things to say that every one else has said. I keep a lot of hardware at work and use them almost exclusively. The way the website works it’s really easy to find what your looking for. When Fastenall came to town I gave them a chance and didn’t like there website,they were more expensive and I wasn’t impressed with the local store. My father-in-law was a purchasing event for the government and loved them. His supervisor asked him what he would do if he couldn’t use them anymore and he said he’d quit.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have NEVER bought anything from them; sounds like I'm really missing out. Time to look into that!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

warbird1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  28. chiro

chiro

^^^You're in trouble now. Once you go on their website it's all over. It will be your go-to place for nearly eveything. The turnaround time is simply astounding.
    Andy

29. McMaster-Carr has been my go-to for raw materials for fabbing for years, plus lots of other stuff! It's been a very rare occurrence that they don't have what I'm looking for. Also a great source for quality 12V relays and hardware.

30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Agree . The state used them all the time .

jim snow likes this.