Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ethics of stealing ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bikertrash, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Mart

Mart

I'm going to buck the trend here, if it is a small town and you will see the guy a lot and people that will see your car will have seen the other guys car, I think I would not copy it. For this reason: It is a very prominent part of the car. It is the one thing that sets his car apart from the others. I think in this case you would be stealing his thunder a bit.

On the other hand, if you saw the idea on the web or a t a small show miles away from home while on vacation or business, then copying it would not detract from his car.

Normally I would say copy away but because of the close proximity of the cars and the uniqueness of the idea, I'd say congratulate him and forget it.

Mart.

2. Maybe we should ask the second guy or the last guy to chop a Model A coupe...

3. thought that was reason we share ideas..to inspire..reach new heights.build incredible toys...lol....sure many things on your Rod are unique to you....dream build..enjoy!!...

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I ripped off all my friends. A little Live Wire, a little of JonnyCola's coupe, some stuff I thought Weesner would do. I'd do it again too.

5. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Copying good ideas is the tradional thing to do. :)

6. Many things I've thought of and haven't applied, I've seen done. I guess great minds think alike. The hands that execute the idea get the credit.

I've actually seen this done, but with stock exterior appearance.

Yours will turn out different and be yours, simply by the fact that you will execute it differently.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Stealing his idea would be more like if he told you what he was going to do on his then you went and did it on yours before he did his......

Use it but make it unique to your own....

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

If you show it or post it, it is fair game..
    Although I always ask if they original builder minds if I go with a similar idea..
    Cheers......

9. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Thanks for the tips guys. I think the proper thing to do would be to talk with him about it. It is a small town. I would tell anyone that I got the idea from the other builder. It's funny how many ideas I have got off the HAMB and never thought twice about. I suppose I'm hesitant because we are so close. The guy that did the work for me (fab stuff - sometimes a man needs to know his limitations...) did the majority of the build for him. I'm done. Thanks again.

10. Jiminy

Jiminy

If you talk to the guy he may tell you how he would do it differently (and better) if he got the chance.

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dosent it say here somewhere that if you steal our stuff we'll kick your teeth in?
    Like on the front page? just sayin...................
    That bein said, I'd upholster the inside, and varnish the outside.
    Then see how long it takes for him to copy.
    No charge.

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I built a O/T sand rail once. The sheet metal Vw engine mount was rusted out so I built one out of pipe with gussets. Showed a picture of the mount to the company that built my frame and they asked if I would mind if they used it on some of their new chassis. I was flattered. They have me some good discounts on parts.

13. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

"Good artists borrow. . . Great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

14. Fenders

Fenders

Yah, looks like the bottom of an old canoe....

15. This entire website is based on and requires it's members to steal ideas. Nothing can be posted here or discussed that isn't the way it was done back in "The Day".

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grab a dictionary, and look up tradition.

17. Oh yea I get it now -
    If you were to think of it first with an idea, you'd be an originator.
    You can only steal it if you think of it as the second person.
    If you are the third to do it, it's copied and should be considered flattery.
    By #4 you are traditional.

With nearly 7 billion people "living" in the world - its really difficult to come up with a completely original idea. Out of those 7 billion I'd venture that every single one of them as thought of something totaly on their own thinking that it was completely original only to find out later that its been done before.
    I have no idea of how many people that have already lived and died, but their thoughts and ideas need to be counted in the group of ideas that have been already thought and tried before too.

18. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Anyone that has ever built a Hotrod of any kind "stole" an idea. Except the first guy to build one, whoever he is.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You could do what I did when I saw what a builder did to the lower body line on a friend's coupe. When I went over to look at it, I turned to the builder and said, "I'm stealing your idea for that lower body line!"
    We all laughed, and he said, "Why not, I stole it too."

20. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

His name was Ogg. A caveman.
    He noticed how his buddies couldn't outrun the round rocks during a rockslide.
    The flat ones ("umph" as he called them) were easier to flee.
    The ones that smashed the rest of the hunting party were round ("ayeeeee!!") rocks.
    :D

21. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Hey there some guys racing the hell out of a car I built before most of em was born there havin and could care less where it came from oh well I had my fun........

22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm not going to mention names, but this guy is a BIG time upholsterer. A couple of years ago I purchased one of his tops for my deuce roadster. I designed my own side curtains for my car and they work great. I have driven in rainstorms and no water has entered the car! I was at a national show one year and this guy started asking questions about the curtains and I also told him I planed on modifying the top to have the rear part of the top un zip to allow more air circulation. Guess what, he now offers them as options for the top.

23. fortynut

fortynut

AMAZING DISCOVERY!!! FIRST CASE OF WHEELS PAINTED RED!!!
    ALSO NOTE ELABORATE PINSTRIPPING ON A VERY TRADITIONAL RIDE.

[​IMG]

24. JerryLee

JerryLee

As long as he didn't steal your CAR!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

fortynut, GREAT looking wagon, well worth the trip to the Smithsonian to see it. Bob

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Foose steals my ideas all the time, that fucker :rolleyes:

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm with Mart in this particular case, but as far as the overall "dilemma" goes... I think this speaks volumes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

nothing new is new. But at the same time, the guy lives in your own town. I'd say its a bit obvious.

Examples of my previous statement
    -electric cars
    -flip up headlights
    -push button start
    -special steering wheels for fat people
    -ginormous wheels

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Indeed. Wikipedia: "The concept of originality is culturally contingent. It became an ideal in Western culture starting from the 18th century.<sup id="cite_ref-Lynch02_5-0" class="reference">[5]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[6]</sup>" - though one might trace its roots back to the 'cult of the Master Artist' of the Italian renaissance, with its idea of historical self-awareness. As something popularly taken for granted it is a recent thing; nothing like "the way it's always been".

Hence, there is no historical/causal connection between copying someone's idea and the Biblical "thou shalt not steal."

30. dad-bud

dad-bud

Fuck me Dawie, you overthink shit sometimes!!!
    My brain hurts now - I'm going home and have a beer!!!!
    :p :p :D :D