Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ethanol gas carburetor frustration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dawai, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

So I am a 57 year old man, my eyesight varies from one day to the next. I have "four carburetors" tore down here now. "Pissed off at ethanol" is a mild term.

I need a reputable carb builder, Hamb preferably and one who will accept three cores for part of the bill cause I ain't rich.

ALL these are so stopped up, the edelbrock (carter clone?) has plugs on the low speed passageways I knocked out to rod it out, I got a new-age wierd holley, it will run, but not idle, same deal, low speed jets and passages are clogged.. THEN the favorite, a double pumper Holley 650 I bought way back when, stopped up, I cleaned it, put it back together, would not idle.. back apart again. If you have not discovered how to use a torch tip cleaner on a carburetor? the generator video I have, generator ran 3 hours then was stored, but was totally stopped up, fuel tank corroded beyond repair.. THIS is 4 stroke, not two with mixed gas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE5UbCvcvtU The torch top cleaner has a drill on the end, a small rod file to ream the hole clean.

Pardon me, but gasoline was originally a "solvent" used to clean things before it was a fuel?? I watched the videos put out by small engine people about blowing "air" across open ethanol fuel, and sure enough it seems to attract and collect water from the moisture in the air? SO? what? we need "closed" fuel systems like modern EFI to run it?? with a vacuum canister to collect the fumes ??? WTF?? did this happen overnight?? I kinda bet there is big money somewhere, like in refining to different levels?? and adding distilled Farmers waste corn to my favorite burning liquid to hide the "new coke" they are now making from corn syrup instead of cane sugar??

Suggestions? (big canister water separators made from a quart fruit jar??)

I bought a "new age" Street demon, not cause it was "so great" but because the jets come down from the top in a straight line in a casting that looks like I can rod it out with the torch tip cleaner. I ain't buying "a new EFI truck you have to pull the cab to pull the engine on".. I will drive my old crap till I am done driving.. if I can.. With the blood pressure and pulse rate jump each time I get frustrated by a "new age" change it might not be but till next week anyways. (then one hell of a yard sale by my wife)

3pm, not too early for a beer.

Attached Files:

gc427 likes this.