Register now to get rid of these ads!

etching metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studebaker46, Mar 20, 2011.

1. studebaker46

studebaker46

hi guys . have a question about new metal with no protection . iam working on a 1941 ford p/u bed . do i need to etch the metal before priming? if so what is the proper way to do it? thanx tom

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Spray with etching primer once all rust is removed.

3. Either that or wipe down with muriatic acid cut 50% with water.

I vote the etching primer myself.

4. dadseh

dadseh

NEW metal right? you must use etch primer. I usually use 180 grit on a sander to scuff the surface before using 'metal-etch ' primer, then normal primer. dont leave the metal etch more than a couple of hours before priming. and if you are doing repairs on larger areas... always metal etch the bare steel around any bondo repairs, I always keep a spray can handy.

5. gorillaFart

gorillaFart

theres also Direct-to-Metal sandable epoxy primers u can spray on bare metal

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Be advised, some etching primers can't covered with plastic fillers without adverse reactions.

You can wash the panel with phosphoric acid (metal conditioner) after which is followed a lacquer thinner wash and a good urethane primer coat. Epoxy primers on the marker today don't contain the heavy metals that use to offer the protection you need in a primer, and thats why I'd go with a urethane based primer & top coat.

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Etching primer is no substitute for a thorough treatment with phosphoric acid.

8. Fe26

Fe26

x3 on the Phosphoric Acid, some proprietory solutions also leave a residue on the surface which when neutralised leave a rust preventative film.

9. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Ospho is the phosphoric acid I use under PPG DP epoxy primer. The Ospho treatment will give you some time to finish other areas before having to prime them.