Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Estate Auction Score? - B&M Hydro Stick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigMikeIndy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

I recently attended an estate auction just a few blocks from home. It was a fluke that I even went because I just happen to be driving through the neighborhood when they put the signs up that Saturday morning. Kinda upset that I hadn't ever met the guy who lived there after seeing the goodies he had collected over the years. The only thing I was able to score was this what looks to be recently reconditioned B&M Hydro Stick Transmission. I knew zero about it but I knew I couldn't allow an old speed part like this to head to the scrapper.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, AHotRod, mcyunger and 7 others like this.
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd call that a MAJOR score. Well done! Someone in the know here can probably date it hopefully from the #s.

3. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

That's what I was hoping for along with figuring out which bell housing is on it.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The bellhousing is for early Pontiac...I noticed the "UC" part of the code stamped into the tag...it means Unblown competition. That shifter is the SHIT! GREAT SCORE!

saltracer219 and Gotgas like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

gee willikers...what else was there...

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd also guess it was done late 50s early 60s....the Hydro Stick decal on that trans is the first design with the cartoon dude on it...

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For your sake I hope you have plans for it. I can imagine the folks holding the sale we're glad to see it go as they are very heavy. When the was running one I had to keep many extras for parts...Good luck with your purchase

Black Panther likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Careful there, Panther...That 'cartoon dude' is the famous B&M Robot! :D

10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Lol...ok...I think later 60s they switched to just having "B&M" on the sticker...

11. pastlane

pastlane

It must be B&M season at estate sales. This one followed me home this weekend.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ooohhhh that one has the B&M made bellhousing to adapt a slant pan hydro to Chevy...very cool.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That trans looks like it was sand blasted to make it look good. Everything is pitted, including the fasteners. I'm not trying to down play your find, but I'd pull both covers/pans off, and also take a good look at the torus assembly. If you don't plan on using it, I'm sure someone would be happy to buy it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Butch...you might be right....or it might be midwest pits from rust that was cleaned off...

15. I had one of those in my first Altered. Back in 1968. First gear was 4:1 ratio. Really fast out of the hole.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

How much $$ did you pay?

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That question above, "how much...", does it matter? What if it was only $25.00? I hope it was less. When I sell something and someone says "...but what did it cost you?" I have the same answer, "Nothing. In fact I actually got paid to remove it from the property." Just sayin...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

19. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

Thankyou!

20. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

There were two tri fives sold as a pair. 1 was solid the second was just a parts car. Shelves upon shelves of bb and sb chevy parts. I certainly wasn't prepared.

21. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

With what I've learned over the part 24 hours about it I think It will need to go to some who will be able to use it. My current projects are more along the road race genre.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool. But for the dummies in the peanut gallery, can you still get these tranys serviced? Gary

23. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

I believe you are correct about it having been blasted and repainted. I returned to the auction site page to see if there was any info and they had it listed as "B&M Racing Trans With Paperwork (NEW)" I have reached out to the deceased's grandson today for information as to the "NEW" description. The newer hardware inside the "flexplate" makes me think it has recently been gone thru. If that's the case my next step is to track down who went through it.

Attached Files:

24. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

Thanks!

25. BigMikeIndy

BigMikeIndy

Yes

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You are upset because of my curiousity? All that matters is the buyer is happy with what he paid for it, no skin off my nose...You read something that I didn't write..

27. jimmy959

jimmy959

It was called the Mechanical Man. At least that was the "official" name when I worked at B&M. ;)

belair, Speedy Canuck and Gotgas like this.
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Did the trans have to be shifted [in race form] through all the gears or could it take off in 2nd?

29. jimmy959

jimmy959

If I remember correctly there was a lock out device available that eliminated the 1-2 shift. I'm guessing it came out in the 50s (I was there from '93-'07).