Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Era Correct Firewall Mount Brake & Clutch Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Dec 4, 2014.

1. deto

deto

So...

I'm trying my ass off to keep my 49 chevy business coupe era correct for an early 60's street/strip machine.

I'm planning the clutch set up, and due to the ease of packaging, I'm going to use a slave rather than a clutch linkage.

I am going to run a dual MC for the brake circuit, and now I will also need a MC to work the clutch slave.

I really don't want to keep the brake set up under the floor like the stock layout. Making my own swinging pedal set up for a fire wall mount isn't an issue either.

My concern is, what Master Cylinders should I run if I were keeping with a 1964 cut off date?

What would be an acceptable dual MC for the brakes?

What MC should be used for the clutch?

If they're gonna be out in the open on the firewall I want them to be correct for the era.

Thanks guys.

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I think dual master cylinders didn't start appearing until afer 1964.

fine29 likes this.
  3. deto

deto

Shit... Anybody else?

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I believe dual brake master cylinders started in 1967 on GM products. the master and clutch cylinder of choice back in the day came from an early 60's chev pickup, they ran hyd clutches and the 2 masters were made in one piece

Hnstray likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417745240.272722.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

DrewModelA and Hnstray like this.
  6. deto

deto

So food for thought...

could this be used as a dual MC for the brakes with a balance bar break pedal set up, and then use another stand alone MC for the clutch?

Any idea on bore and stroke for this MC?

7. the above was standard for Ford trucks for years....it was an early hot rodders choice.....

8. squirrel

squirrel

This is the one used in Chevy trucks in the early 60s. Should work fine with the hydraulic clutch and brakes. Might even be able to adapt the 60-62 truck pedal assembly?

9. redo32

redo32

Interesting concept to use this as a dual cyl with a tie bar. Don't know why it wouldn't work even if the bore sizes were different. Cut one in half for the clutch and mount it close for a matching set.

10. I used a IH dual off a 59 pu in my 32 in the early 60's looked just like this one posted above made my own swing pedals also as none were available then.............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Man I sure miss this car:(

11. deto

deto

The single brake mc for auto trucks has a very similar look and is a single reservoir. I would use that for the clutch slave.

12. missysdad1

missysdad1

Just a thought...

These old master cylinders are so simple to maintain and rebuild - especially when firewall mounted - that there's no excuse for a hot rodder to neglect one to the point of failure. I would not be afraid of using one of these old side-by-side masters in an application that called for one. But I'm old and have so far resisted the air bag mentality that has come to prevail in our society...

gas pumper, Moriarity and squirrel like this.
  13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I agree with the above - The biggest danger of a single MC is when lines (rubber and metal) get old or are improperly routed and subjected to damage....If your changing out everything and its new/fresh and you have a functional emergency brake - why not just use the single?

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree, I have many vintage cars running single master cylinders. just make sure all the systems components are in good/new condition and have an E brake and go for it

15. spooler41

spooler41

One more thing to keep in mind ,when using a 60's GM master cylinder
    the clutch cylinder is on the right and the brake cylinder is on the left side.
    The other thing is, International truck used an almost identical master cylinder
    with a reversed pattern layout.

........................... Jack

deto likes this.

16. But; it takes but a few minutes to reverse the components in the more common GM master.

17. deto

deto

Good to know!

18. I used that early chev Pu on my T bucket I built in 1960,It still works as good as it did 50 years ago...some of you later builders try to over engineer shit.

fourspeedwagon and 3wLarry like this.
  19. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What do you reverse? The pistons?

20. Pull the snap rings and switch all the stuff inside from one side to the other. Be sure to get the rubber washer at the bottom of the brake side.

21. deto

deto

are the bores sleeved?

22. Bores are the same size if you have the correct master cylinder.

23. birdman1

birdman1

take a look at the brake master cylinder and the hydraulic clutch master cylinders off a 1957 or so Ford pickup. although I am a chicken at heart, i would definitly use a dual brake master. who cares what it looks like ?

24. You know, if your fixed on wanting a dual master on the firewall and a juice clutch, you can use about any single master of the right bore size for the clutch by removing the residual valve. Might not be as aesthetically pleasing as the GM cylinder or matching single masters; but would work.

25. Everything had the dual masters in '67 as a federal requirement. The feds had started phasing in various safety improvements around this time, including shoulder harnesses, 'safe' interior door handles, front marker lights/rear reflectors (68), rear marker lights (69), and lots of 'detail' items like non-glare satin-finish wiper arms and blades, breakaway hood ornaments, banned protruding spinners (knockoffs, real or fake) on wheels. etc.

26. deto

deto

This guy cares.

27. A common set up in the mid-fifties was the 52 & up car brake a clutch pedals with two brake master cylinders. This is the set up I am running in my model A. Every time I try to put a photo I get a image to large message.

28. First hot rod, went to the wrecking yard, picked up two '57 Ford brake pedals and master cylinders and used them to build a homemade Ansen type swing pedal set-up, cheap and worked good in conjunction with a Chevy slave cylinder.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417867702.936220.jpg
    My 61 impala still uses it's original single master cylinder, chromed for safety... Lol

DrewModelA likes this.
  30. deto

deto

Haha