Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Super sweet, Andy!!!

Keep it going, I love it!!!

2. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build, late but subscribed.

3. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks doods...

I've been measuring and staring at 33-34 rear roof sections a lot... Seems to me that the SHAPE isn't much different between the two, rather the size/angle is. there's about 3" difference across the back below the window and about 4.5" across the top at the highest crown. My plan is to slide the roof back in between the 1/4 windows 2.25" further at the top and 1.5" further at the bottom. This will make room for the more horizontal beadline across the top of the deck, put a little more forward angle on the rear window like a coupe has and bring the bulbous top in line as well.

I cut er off right behind the ears,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this side needs help...
    [​IMG]

after a little pounding, it will still need the drip rail replaced, but the window surround is pretty close... A little more hammer and dollie work.
    [​IMG]

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Also got some more goods...

My favorite hot rod tailights, 42-48 Ford.
    [​IMG]

And since my Mallory Magspark coil is non-op, one of these cool old echlin beehive coils with the light bulb ballast!

[​IMG]

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

'34 Ford B-400 Coupe..:cool:

There would be a lot of head-scratching going on.

7. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

So that is what that thing is. My dad had one hanging around his garage for years. I never asked what it was and when he died 20+ years ago I cleaned his garage and pitched a lot of old stuff out, including the coil, never knew what it was.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha, there's already plenty of headscratching going on around here!:D:D:D

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Did you snag one of those coils while you were here? :D:D:D:D Very Cool I'm using THE OTHER one in my '33!

Car is looking great man.

10. budd

budd

those are 4 door doors correct? i have a friend with a real 5 window i want to make some pattern off of, like the shape of the window opening, the roof line, the quarter panels, so i will have something to guide me a little, what i need to start is doors.

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Some dude's $5 pile at the hamburg swap!:p

Forgot that I also nabbed a greyhound cap there for the same price... he's missing a foot, but his wang is still intact.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, they're about 3/4"-1" taller at the rear of the window frame than 5w doors but otherwise identical.

13. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

another amazing build. there is just too much to read and soak in! thanks!

14. budd

budd

i know a couple of 5 windows around here that the doors were made to fit on a 5 window, there is a guy not far from here with a set of spare 4 door doors but he hasent decide if he wants to sell them yet, need to keep in touch with him.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's especially of no consequence if you're going to whack the roof at all, gotta cut em anyhow.:cool:

16. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Coming along now dude, you definitely have got the bug for sure....lovin the build up, cant get enough of it !!!

Those 4 doors are 3/4" bigger at the rear between the top and middle hinges than the coupe doors and they also have more of a curve inwards at the rear of the door below the bottom hinge but other than that they are the same and like you say once you decide to whack the top it dont come into it .......

17. budd

budd

i have a feeling it would be a little easier to make the roof line look right if you lower the rear of the door first, that would bring the roof down, shorten the door post, i think.

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Whaddya call a dog with balls of steel but no hind legs??
    ...SPARKY!:D

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

andy, youre killing it bro!

looks great :D

20. chopo

chopo

they make medication for that

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

:D:D:D

Starting to look a little more coupe-ish instead of an aborted 4dr!! No more bubble butt!
    [​IMG]

Well maybe a love handle or two above the b pillar...:cool: That will get fixed during the top-chop session.
    You can see here what I did to accomplish this, I did have to make a single relief cut on each side. Also, the rear window opening needs to be moved down a half inch, again, come chop time she'll be right as rain. Yes... the area above the deck is still a mess...dreading that project...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went over to my pal jrblack30's shop last night and we started fabbing the floor and installing/modifying the new subrails for his 3w... good practice for this 5w.:p
    [​IMG]

22. hotdamn

hotdamn

did you ever know that youre my hero?

youre everything that I have ever dreamed,

I can fly high as an eagle,

And you Andy,

you are the wind beneath my wings...

23. titus

titus

its looking good!

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks like shit......I mean looks like The Shit!

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Aww..christ, Is this going to turn into another rainbow and unicorns thread?:rolleyes::D

26. Looking good Andy. This build is getting me inspired. I may need to do another '34... :D

Although, I'm not sure I can handle all the criticism from those Iron Lord dudes.:rolleyes:

When you first started this project and told us your timeline, I thought you were insane. Now, I just think your somewhat crazy. I have a feeling by the time your done, I'll think your a frickin' genius!!!

We'll be seeing ya in Detroit, right?

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

hey there daddy o, we Iron Lords give nothing but love, albiet sometimes it is in the form of unicorns and rainbows but its always fromk a genuine place.

like tupac said, "I aint mad atcha."

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

and daddy o I concur on the time lines!!! I see dudes starting out with a clean 5w body not moving this fast let alone converting a gnarled out 4dr into a 5w!!!

the best part is how low buck this is, Andy has cut his teeth and paid his dues no lie, but this is something that most of us could do if we put in the time and just had the confidence to say fuck it, Im doing it...

hats off to you Andy, you are the poster child for makin it happen.

El Topo likes this.
  29. Andy,
    The roof profile is getting there, little more tweeking and with the chop you should have the right proportions.

Someday, I gotta clean my shop!!!!

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks fellas, yea I'll be at autorama, just for fri and sat this year. I think it's still possible to have this thing on the road to drive to the showdown... but probably not likely... we'll see. There's SOO much to do...

-inner structure for the ass end
    -the entire floor!
    -quarter tops/rain gutters around the decklid
    -mount the decklid, which will probably involve making hinges since there's no way in hell I'm paying $185 for repros.
    -firewall
    -fire the engine
    -throttle linkage
    -make a generator bracket
    -install the new rad core in the old framework
    -install the quickchange, which R.C. is feverishly working on!
    -wire the car
    -exhaust
    -seat
    -CHOP it,
    - and a whole shit-ton of other stuff!

doable, but not probable.:(

Haha, hey wasn't there a thread the other day where some guy was bitching about people bragging on building cheap cars? This is for him... I have a little less than 6k in this car so far. I actually spent a little more than that, but I sold off some stuff that came with it and with the engine to bring the number back down. I figure I'll have a primered, chopped, 34 5w running down the road for 7k. No shit.:cool: