Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Enhancing EMS patch panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, May 13, 2022.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I'm putting EMS patch panels on my 35 5W and have issues with the details. The body line is so much rounder at the edges as well as the lower step not being deep enough. I'm grateful for the product but wish it was of higher quality. Who has modified their EMS panels to improve the crispness of the body line? I have a motorized bead roller with all the dies that Eastwood sells. The other option is to install it as is and get on with the rest of the work.

20220513_201434.jpg 20220513_201453.jpg 20220513_201838.jpg 20220513_201729.jpg 20220513_201719.jpg 20220513_201740.jpg 20220513_201901.jpg 20220513_201848.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. I see what you're saying, I've had to do some altering to their patch panels, but they're good heavy metal to work with. From looking at your pictures, I'd section just that bottom feature line. I wouldn't use the entire patch.

1oldtimer likes this.
  3. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I thought of that but I need access to the backside to hammer weld. That lower feature line isn't accessible. Using the whole patch my weld is easily accessible.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've never understood why they make poor fitting panels. It seems that it would take the same amount of effort to make parts that fit.
    So I make my own poor fitting panels instead of paying for their poor fitting panels.

mikhett, RICH B, brEad and 10 others like this.

5. NoelC

NoelC

Pete used to say, "a blind guy won't see it and a dumb one will think it has to be like that".
    Could explain it? Or it could be that those were panels from the end of the stamping run and the dies had worn down? Which falls in line with what Pete said. Jan 2011 005.jpg

-Brent- and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Pretty typical fit. Close but not quite. As said above, why bother to even make them if they aren't right?
    I've given up on buying panels and just make them.

Do it Over, Tman and bschwoeble like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That sure is wonky difference. I guess it depends on your skills and level of good enough. Too bad you made a cash outlay to be disappointed. Personally, I hand and hammer form my own repair panels for three reasons. One is I enjoy the process , two I can make the panel to replicate the factory body line , curvature and crown because it’s all in front of me (the old and the new panel) and three I like to control what gauge of metal I want in a repair panel.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. evintho

evintho

I assume you mean EMS patch panels. Out of all the patch panels out there, EMS is head and shoulders above the others. With that said.......I've never had an aftermarket patch panel that didn't need some form of modification. Even EMS panels!

jazz1, 57JoeFoMoPar, belair and 2 others like this.
  9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, if I didn't know any better - & I don't, I'd guess the molds to make the stampings on the patch panel were created from an oem(maybe) body line. Sorta looks like the bead is ~ 2 sheetmetal thicknesses too thick(tall), & no compensation for metal spring-back. ???
    Marcus...

RMR&C and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  10. mvee33

mvee33

I also bought those EMS 35/36 Ford lower cowl panels and had to chop them up and section them to make them usable, very disappointing, only a slight improvement on starting from scratch.

TagMan likes this.
  11. EMS is probably one of the better companies that make this type of product, but I have had to "tweak" every panel I have gotten from them. I made a die from a piece of square stock and a reverse die from angle iron to "crisp" up their corners on a similar panel. A bead roller may also work. That and adding a strip at the bottom should make the panel usable.

chryslerfan55 and Do it Over like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I've never found a patch panel from any company that fit perfect. I've read that Ford had stamping dies created at different points in the model year, and they didn't match each other. So who knows if EMS made their dies from a different original than yours?

First off I wouldn't cut so far up, if there is a way to get at the back of the panel another way. Maybe remove an inner brace. Sandblast the rocker so you can see what good metal you can save.

13. larry k

larry k

EMS panels will fit and look good ??? ! After you run them through a pull max machine to sharpen the corners and shrink down the high crowns in the center and grind off the muffler coating on the metal.

Tman likes this.
  14. I make my own.
    For that particular shape, I’d have to make it in 2 pieces with my equipment. Would have to split the bead.
    264E9004-642A-4DFB-9E06-FFF8ED167612.jpeg
    i generally hammer beads like that.
    F4354B1F-22FE-41ED-AF26-764B9E995ECD.jpeg B3A0616C-65EC-4B77-84F1-C266403F2E6F.jpeg
    sometimes a bead roller. But to get the proper radius, ya still got to hammer them without a pulmax.
    A0498828-DC0A-4325-B2EF-B197A856A158.jpeg
    No store bought patches. Hand hammer work, some bead rolling and creative sheet metal brake work with some shrinking and stretching.
    9345FAE6-FEF0-4648-A024-839851AA41C4.jpeg

15. In the defense of EMS, most old car bodies are not consistent.
    Not even side to side on the same car.

16. Looks like your original piece only needed the bottom or bead
    First rule of patch panels. Only use what is needed. Leave as much of the original intact.
    24BCD2C1-FBCD-4C57-A46C-55CF032608DC.jpeg

17. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_2970.jpg IMG_2973.jpg IMG_2974.jpg IMG_2975.jpg IMG_2976.jpg Buy the best panels that are available, which in most cases, is EMS. I have installed many panels brought to me by others in my learning curve years. All panels including factory need help, especially for the guys that want perfect everything. I had to learn how to do metal work myself, as I don't have the means to pay someone else to do it for me. Now, I do it in my retirement years for a little extra income.

So, my Ranchero project needed panels and the EMS panels are very nice and most important, they are 18 gauge. The lines around the wheel well needed crisping up, to match the factory panels. Some time with hammer and dolly, as well as a cold chisel that has all the sharp edges taken off it, and slightly rounded over edges.

The cold chisel works wonders to restore any body line if you have access to the back side of the panel. No pullmax or bead rollers needed. Better to do it by hand and by eye. And go lightly, carry a big stick if you really feel you need to, but just tap tap tap. If it looks good, and feels good, it is good.

My glass is half full. I'm glad EMS makes what they do. If you are doing your own work, buy the best panels available. If you are taking your project to someone else, and can't bear the idea of parting with some of your hard earned cash, buy the best panels available.

Good luck.

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Anthony;
    Do you have any vids out, to help those who can't get into your classes? :D .
    Marcus...

SS327 and anthony myrick like this.
  19. No. But I was asked to teach adults after school
    My son wanted me to start a YouTube channel.
    I might when we build a floor for his Jeep.
    I also have a set of rockers and floors to make for a Mercury

20. I'm no bodyman (not even close) and I like to make simple things harder.
    I would just cut out the lower part of the rib and patch that (weld, grind, filler) and weld up the holes on the rib (with a patch or weld). That way at least the stock rib is still intact and your weld area is covered by the fender. After you cut out the lower piece, make a backing out of a cut open copper pipe (the same shape as the rib) and fix the holes on the rib, then weld in the lower patch. I don't have rollers, presses or a pullmax, but I have made a wooden buck when needed (for simple ribs, nothing compound). Then spray the crap out of the inside with rust paint.

patch.jpg

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  21. Some hammers, a good pattern and a block of wood can do a lot
    5DB881E9-54A4-4D1A-8BC8-274488519798.jpeg 966002BB-B0F6-4063-BA5C-25E665A3180E.jpeg
    All hammers
    4D957D82-1648-4DA5-80B0-AB3876E89401.jpeg 4BCB9F8D-E661-45DD-BC9E-68260ED5ADF2.jpeg

chryslerfan55, deathrowdave and Tman like this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Anthony:
    Please let me know if you do the vids.
    & wow!.
    Marcus...

anthony myrick likes this.
  23. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Yup, the feature line is toast. Way to thin to weld on. I was going to weld in the patch as is. Melvin said no one would notice and I believe he's correct but I would know so decided to make a play at making my own patch. Came acceptably close IMO. The lines are much crisper/sharp. Where I fell short is I forgot about putting some shape in the feature line as its flat. I think if I english wheel the feature line area then run it through the bead roller I'll get the curved profile I seek. Also though about adding crown using a couple radiused dies and a soft lower wheel. Gotta make some proper templates and find some 18ga. Now is time for food and beer .

20220514_164914.jpg 20220514_164923.jpg 20220514_165053.jpg 20220514_154527.jpg

24. I’ve hammered the radius in a bead rolled line before. Isn’t hard.
    This simple tool does a great job crisping up bead rolled lines and radiusing flat areas in a bead or style line made on a roller or brake
    F5FBC54C-CE2B-4FA0-9B33-03860681FF39.jpeg

-Brent-, chryslerfan55, jazz1 and 3 others like this.
  25. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Where can I buy that kit?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. I bought one from a tool truck. I think Corwell.

chryslerfan55 and fauj like this.
  27. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

I feel you on this with ems stuff.... the person in me says “im glad to have these” the professional in me gets frustrated... i used lower rear quarters on my54 because for the price i couldnt touch making them...
    But the professional in me is also confused and snnoyed about why they made them 18 gauge when the cars arent 18 gauge, i mean, sure i can deal with the associated issues with welding thick to thin sheetmetal but i shouldnt haveto .. also the hot dipped zinc coating. Why. If it wasnt zinced itd still never rust out again, but also you cant do anything with it, no decent keying, welding, deoxidining or wash priming...
    I found another brand that were better and more accurate.. the name escapes me now, its been a few years

chryslerfan55, Irish Mike and Tman like this.