Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ENGRAVER NEEDED TO DEEPEN ROLLMARKS ON APPLETONS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sharmack, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sharmack

Sharmack

Hello,
    I know this is kind of random but, does anyone know of a good engraver that can "deepen" the stampings on some Appleton buckets? They are steel buckets, not brass and Id like to have the stampings dug out a little before copper/nickel/chrome. I realize that last line is probably a lost cause but, id like to do what I can for these.

Thanks
    Chris

Attached Files:

• APP1.jpg
      APP1.jpg
      File size:
      118.9 KB
      Views:
    • APP2.jpg
      APP2.jpg
      File size:
      106.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Gunsmith. They may or may not be offended, but a gunsmith that wants to keep working, would engrave that while you wait. It's a drag line engraver. Pretty easy. You could actually do it yourself, if you aren't a moron. You most likely are not.

The piece already has given you, your pattern. Just take your time, follow the lines, and depending on your metal hardness ..... be sure to apply equal pressure. Probably not something to worry about, but if soft, it's easy to booger up the even depth of a formerly stamped mark. Also easy to pop out of your line, if you aren't careful.

I would do it myself, but hit up your local engraver listings. With as much cool stuff near you, one should be easy to find. Jeweler, gunsmith, tooling, machinists, etc. Hobbyists everywhere as well. Look up engraving tools during your search.

williebill likes this.
  3. Sharmack

Sharmack

@kidcampbell71

Thanks for the response. Believe it or not, I have tried calling a bunch of places and nobody wants to touch it.

I don't think im a moron...at least.....I hope not, I am fairly skilled with die grinders and Dremels but, exactly what you mentioned is what scares me the possibility of it popping out of the "track" and totally screwing it up.

4. You can do it. There are small metal engraving hand tool kits online. Practice on something first. There's a few items around all of us, that we don't care about, with stamps.

I'm a gun guy. Some of the stuff I buy has led many previous lives. I have dragged quite a few original manufacturers stamps myself. I imagine a magnifying loop would help, but I have never done anything but start with one drag at a time. The nicer tools will stop at the line end. Take your time. You'll be fine.

I think my little kit was 30 or 40 bucks. I've only used one of the picks in the kit. Still sharp after 4 or 5 uses.

No pictures. I just dragged the lines prior to polishing. Probably what you are going to do as well. Without gunblue finish though, I'm sure. :)

HAMB member in memoriam, POLISHER, has some great threads here. Research all of his threads. He was awesome. He can get your head right.

I'd drag the stamps, and hand sand those buckets to a high luster myself. Varying degrees of finery in your sanding papers, then redrag the stamps again. Prevents the chromer error in losing your stamps. Who knows.

A good chromer has chromed everything. Think with the right guy, even my advice isn't needed. Where is that guy ? Surely you wouldn't be the first chrome customer requiring a chrome restoration spec' piece. Good luck !

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    rodncustomdreams and williebill like this.

5. Sharmack

Sharmack

@kidcampbell71

Okay man..Thanks a million for your input..I am gaining confidence to try this. Ill check out everything you mentioned.

Thanks again!

6. alchemy

alchemy

Rather than mess with those stampings, I'd ask people who have successfully chromed their Appletons who did the work for them. Find a chromer who does good work and is experienced with Appletons. Lots of special chrome jobs require a thin plate in certain areas, you just need to find the chromer who can handle it.

7. The Model A guys used to do this with the script on their headlights. First try the archives and then post on fordbarn.com. You might call a few chrome places (Vern's comes to mind, 323 754-4126) and ask if they know anybody because I am sure the problem comes up frequently. Post what you find out.

Charlie Stephens

8. Did you inquire with the chrome shop about doing it for you? I had some work done on an O/T car and the chrome shop dug these ribbed panels out some to avoid build up. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Wright's Custom Chrome in Grafton Ohio did my 112's just fine.

39cdan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. What about a shop that engraves trophies?

Charlie Stephens

11. Karpo

Karpo

J Chadwick in Monrovia Ca. They have done a few items for me and they came out fantastic. They are the best around when it comes to automotive parts engraving.

http://www.jchadwickengraving.com/

12. Sharmack

Sharmack

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im going to look into all this and i will keep you posted.