Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Englishtown No more drag Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappybunch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. I’m actually surprised that there’s pro drag racing period. It’s a joke and so far from the original intent that it isn’t funny. The cars are not something anyone can relate to, look ridiculous and it’s nothing more than money. In the 60s there’d be 40 fuelers showing up to make the field, today they can barely muster 16. With the resurgence of nostalgia racing, small tire racing and grudge racer there’s no reason to even bother with the pro shit

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Can't argue a bit..No smoke Top Fuel runs suck..They did better with 1/10th the hp and tire smoking runs..Bring back the "Surfers"..Get rid of track prep, no burn outs past the 60' or not past the starting line at all..

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you got the Starliner. Got pics?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on. Southeast Gassers are doing their part.

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

To bad no last drag race imagine what a show that would have been. Can never understand that drifting stuff lets go out and burn off a set of tires wow what fun! :(

6. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Pete

Pete

Melvin Von zipper strudel held one of the best events ever at the race way!

We drove our cars from New England, raced them hard all day,,,beat the shit out of them than drove them home.

Amazing time!

76122A63-5ADB-47C2-B710-E1B01B68E7F8.png

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. Pete

Pete

9. They are and I think it’s great. I hope it expands, maybe someday to include FEDs and altereds, all with the same rules. The average guy building his ride at home and being competitive. 3 guys get together, ones got a motor, the other a chassis, the other drives. Stuff like that, that’s what made drag racing great and it’s time to go back to the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Pete

Pete

449ACE90-5EF5-4F5B-A532-B88A59375A94.png

Thats me and Eli racing...I think we raced like 25 times that weekend....no joke

11. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shame , NHRA IMO is it's own enemy , growing up at Atco with AA/fuel altered classes Nitro cars & hell even seeing Johnny Rocca , Scotty Cannon pro mods was awesome .i don't know who cancels the classes but it sucked to get rid of these . Atco is 75% import crap anymore . Lot of people think it's the noise & traffic complaints over the years as with the Flemmings pumpkin run , I don't know , it's a shame . Even Atco thrill shows are ghost towns , but I don't know that they get the word out enough . I know Diesel Nationals boys are pissed too . All my buds go to Cecil County , say it's like old Atco there .

12. caseyajones

caseyajones

No drag strip is immune to this and it should be motivation for us all to support our local tracks more than ever so they don't succumb to a similar fate. I'm personally going to make it a priority to take my family to our local drag strip (Spokane County Raceway) more this year than ever before and would encourage everyone else who values drag racing to do the same thing. Collectively we could make a huge difference. I just hope to see more heads up racing (like Southeast Gassers Association) and nostalgic drags at our local track as that's what I would really like to see, and by looking at the crowds at these events (Southeast Gassers, Meltdown Drags, Eagle Field Drags, Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags, etc.) it's what a lot of other people are wanting to see (and pay for) as well.

alanp561, bchctybob, 55hdyman and 2 others like this.
  13. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Does anyone else see the irony that Copart was a major NHRA sponsor a few years ago? Now they're a huge part of the decision to close one of the most well known Dragstrips in the world.

14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I haven't followed drag racing much for years, but I think a lot of this started when NASCAR was flying high years ago and all the other major sanctioning bodies wanted to grow up to be just like NASCAR.

15. xracer40

xracer40

I think the death of Scott Kalitta was the beginning of the end for Englishtown. Sometimes the aftermath of such a tragedy just doesn't go away.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think a few hit on the problems. I think many are like me and not all that interested in generic looking cars. What they can do is impressive as all get out but not something many can relate to.

As a kid I'd take in as much NHRA Drag racing and Nascar as I could get. Now, neither interest me. A local track has enduro racing. Purely stock cars doing 100 laps. They will get 40 plus cars show up. I love it. You can get involved for a few hundred dollars.

I love the Nostalgic drags also.

17. caseyajones

caseyajones

Well said. I totally agree with you! The races I am traveling for and attending are Eagle Field Drags, Meltdown Drags, Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags, & Southeast Gassers Association races, which are all heads up nostalgic drags. Theres some differences in certain rules but the essence of them all is its drag racing returning to its roots and going back to racing like it used to be. Heads up racing with cars that are being built by their owners. These aformentioned efforts and their individual increasing successes have proven that's what the fans are wanting to not only see, but also participate in. Old racers are coming out of retirement and building drag cars again to participate in Southeast Gassers Association races. All of a sudden racing is fun again and similar to what it used to be back in the day. My hope is that local tracks take notice of this and organize their own local nostalgic heads up racing classes. I sent an email to my local track just tonight and I really hope they take it to heart and seriously consider organizing something here locally. I seriously think all of the racers and fans that are burnt out and tired of bracket racing would come out in force and seriously support such a class. I know I sure would!!

dan31 likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

19. That’s an interesting take on it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Drag racing has lost it's entertainment value to the paying public.
    When you watch NHRA on TV the announcer is trying to make it more exciting than it actually is.

Down in Aussie , they seem to get it.
    Try to appeal to the public. Their Burnout competitions really appeal to the "Bogan" in all of us, they know how to get the crowd going instead of all this PC bullshit.

Compare these

vs

21. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

They will keep drifting until there's nothing left.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

From what I see watching Aussie drag racing on MAV TV, it doesn't look like they're putting many butts in the bleachers either. Or am I missing something?

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

"Glad you got the Starliner. Got pics?" 10-13 007r.jpg
    Alan for whatever it is worth here is a pic of the Starliner. Something about them that I like for sure.

24. Pete

Pete

Does a drag strip need The NHRA to remain open? I’m pretty ignorant to the inner workings of strips, I know about strip joints but not drag strips..

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's remember at E-Town it's only the drag races that they are stopping!!!

The Car Shows, the Kart track and I believe the motocross are still in operation.
    One other note to think about. All of the car manufactures are working hard to create electric cars and they are saying that within ten years if you purchase a New Car it will be an electric car because they are no longer going to be making cars with conventional motors any longer.

Could the future for the NHRA be in drag racing electric cars? I might be the reason E-Town for now is keeping the drag strip and just deciding not to use right now.

I know it a crazy idea but remember Don Garlits already has an electric dragster he has been working on it for the past few years.

The one think that has put many drag strips out of business is the noise levels so this is one way to have drag strips close to major areas.

Just my opinion.
    Jimbo

26. 62hotcat

62hotcat

156411-500-0.jpg Me at E-town Hemmings musclepalooza event 156411-500-0.jpg muscle%20palooza.png

bchctybob, dan31 and crashfarmer like this.
  27. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

The thought of no cars with conventional engines is almost enough to make me glad that the odds of me still being around in 10 years aren't very good. :eek:

That being said, if I can ever win big in the lottery I'll be building a drag strip, a road course and a big shop with heat and AC down here on the farm. :)

Sad for losing another track. :(

alanp561 likes this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The Co-Part $$$ offer must have been tremendous. The press release stated "effective immediately". No "last season", no "last race", just quit, clock out, and drive off into the sunset. They walked out on the NHRA big time as they were scheduled to host the NHRA Summer Nats. Makes me wonder if there was also some underlying festering issue with NHRA?
    Who hosts the Summer Nats now? Will NHRA offer a sanction to another track to replace E Town in their circuit?
    I'm so bored and uninterested and haven't watched for years. Same with NASCAR. Stopped watching the Jellybeans race about the time Toyota entered. And this year, I 100% boycotted watching NFL games because the owners were too weak to stand up to the players protesting/grandstanding while on the job.
    Makes for less TV time (spend more time on the internet than TV) and more garage time!

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

From what I have read the offer was for $15 million and I think that was for 15 years.
    Not sure sure now if it's Co-Part of an insurance company that made the offer.

Jimbo

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That Aussie burnout video is about as stupid and pointless as drifting is.
    Really something to be proud of. :rolleyes:
    As far as I'm concerned there is a lot more to modifying and building a car than the ability to do something like that.