Register now to get rid of these ads!

English Electric Canberra (B 57) in bronze..

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by grumpy32, Nov 27, 2020.

1. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Today an old friend who was in the RAAF (24 Sqn) long ago gifted a cast bronze model of a English Electric Canberra bomber. It had been cast by another RAAFie, a warrant officer so I'm told, but never finished.
    So now I have it. Just some fine grinding, filling and polishing. A nice mahogany and polished stainless pedestal. It should look very nice... 20201128_124533.jpeg 20201128_124508.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty good rough, also

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  3. I remember when I was in the Navy in the early 1960's I worked on the transient aircraft line in Key West Florida and we had a couple of these aircraft stop in on their way somewhere.They weren't the English Electric version but the ones built by Martin-Marietta in Georgia and known as the B-57. I forget what engines they used but they had a most unique method of starting them. They didn't have electric starting motors but used a can of smokeless powder about the size of a gallon paint can that was inserted into the front nacelle of the engine and ignited. This directed force spun up the turbine to operating speed and fuel was introduced and ignited.
    I remember that if it didn't start on the first try you had to wait a certain period of time before trying it again. Cool model! I have some wooden aircraft models that my uncle built while he was still in junior high school back in the 1930's. He went on to work for Boeing in Seattle as an aircraft designer in the 1950's. I'll have to post some pictures of them.

grumpy32, alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.