Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engines that wont die.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Nov 29, 2011.

1. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

i have a old 460 that i put rings and barrings in and when i was putting it in a 70 ford f100 4x4 noticed a crackin the front of if so a lil jb weld and we are good i ran the shit out of it was out chasing cows for sinor prank set a stick through the raad by the time i get it to the shop its hot as hell of well change the rad back at hammering on as a young kid had to shift by the tach always 6 grand every shift lol headed home form hunting one year the water goes out water running out of it had to go 2 miles up the interstate to tunr around to go 5 miles back to town get it home change the pump and the air filter who knew antifreze would plug a air filter back on the road 6 grand here we come it has a lil blow by oh well drive it a couple more years blow by getting worse bright idea put a blow by tube on it with a gallon catch can so i can dump the oil back in kinda worked keep a case of 20/50 in the bed its useing so much oil at this point i stopped checking it just run it till it starts running funny pull over dump 4 qts in and go it takes 5 qts to change the oil with filter drove that way till i wrecked it a year and a half later damn cows on the high way
    <!-- / message -->

2. The engines from James Deans's Porsche and the engine from Frank Lockhart's Blackhawk, both were used after the vehicle's were wrecked and they were killed..

3. k9racer

k9racer

Well another slant 6 mopar story.. In 72 I purchased a very rusty 68 dart price 85 dollars as best as I recall it had 80 thousand miles. I drove it to work and used it like a truck.After a year the front end was wore out...................................... So I find a 65 dodge truck with cracked block. Price 20 dollars cash a 8 track tape player some tapes and a dime bag. I install the engine drive it about 1 year loan it to a friend to move. He then wrecks it and bends the frame.................................. I gave the mess to a friend. He then installs the M/T and 3 rd member in a 59 international panel truck that was free from a friends uncle............................................................................................ This was his only transportation for 10 years. He then purchased a new truck and only used it for wood hauling and dump runs and driving to work in the rain and bad weather.. He was afraid some one would wreck his nice truck............................................. He put about 100 k plus on this combo....................................... So I guess it has about 300 plus on it. He still drives it to this day. he told me he converted to electronic ignition and changes the oil every 6 months. No maint other than plugs, belts fuel pump and a used carb. His wife hates the truck. I guess since 72 less than 400 dollars spent on every thing including oil. Not bad for close to 40 years service while in our possession . I have a 85 dodge Ramcharger with over 300 k and I still use it to haul my scrap metal trailer.. A 85 2.2 rampage 250 k have installed 4 head gaskets and a clutch and it also keeps on going. I will shut up now... Bobby

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I had a 63 Falcon Futura with a 260 and 4 speed in High School. The motor was worn out, almost no compression, but still was very dependable, quiet used almost no oil. I wanted an excuse to rebuild it or replace it with something faster:D One day i decided I would try to blow it up:eek: I planned to put it in first gear and run it up till it popped! I went to a little over 7K rpm and wouldn't go any further, I ran it quite a ways like that with my foot through the floor, it wouldn't blow!! I repeated the beating a couple more times with no success. I gave up and kept driving it that way till I sold it. Wish I still had that car:(

5. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

over 1.1 million km's on our 351 windsor. still runs great, barely burns oil. never been out of the F250 its in.

900k km's on my 2.8L V6. rebuilt at 410k, but that was it. I've been kicking myself for selling the S10, but....

6. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

my first car was a 56 4 door belair 265 powerglide 2 barrel carb that engine would not come apart..... it wasnt a powerhouse but it would not blow !!!

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

No pics required - your words describe it very well and believable without exaggerations. Damn.

When I got my 48 coupe with original 216, I drove it almost every day for 962 miles and 7 months before I swapped it with a new 261.
    I bought it not running from the previous owner, but got it running after some easy basic adjustments.
    It burnt a quart of oil for every 200 miles but ran quiet, easy, flawless and strong, including frequent short freeway trips to the 20 miles post office roundtrip and back.

I once read somewhere that the early chevy 6s are the longest lasting engines still on the road, in all of world's automotive history.

When parking and going to stores, I often get into conversations with the nicest folks from that generation.
    A sweet and excited lady once told me, that her family moved down to CA from NY in 1936 in their Chevy, when she was a kid.
    I asked her if there were any stops from breakdowns and she quickly said: Not at all and that the car was still in the family and running long after the war was over.

8. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I've TRIED killing a couple of those... ain't happenin'. :D

9. Still driving my '78 Ford 300 c.i. 6 cyl Grumman/Olsen Wonder Bread truck at over 300,000 miles on it. Good maintainence and enjoying the ride makes them un-killable!