Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Engines: Lying in Wait

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 30, 2022.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

Someday
    IMG_20220705_103007.jpg IMG_20221008_125339.jpg

2. 327Eric

327Eric

312 is an over rated boat anchor. The 302 isn't an Fe, but it is a bolt in for the 289 in the Ranchero now . I quit playing with y blocks 30 years ago, but it does have cool valve covers

mad mikey, ekimneirbo and rod1 like this.
  3. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Every time I go to a car show I always wonder, where did all the Tuned Ports go? In the mid to late 90’s every single credit card built hot rod had one, now they all have a LS or a Coyote Ford. Someone is hoarding them thinking they’re gonna be rich someday when they become the next flathead or Hemi have to have!

4. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

str88.1jpg.jpg str88.3.jpg - 1932 Buick straight eight it was going to get a multi small carb and spaghetti header set up and go in the T roadster...I came to me senses and sold it to a restorer
    - I've been collecting on and off for 20 years hoping one day to build a period correct hot rod...one of the very few car guys I knew was an old family friend and the closest to an uncle I had. He collected anything automotive he could get his hands on in the old horse paddock including a couple '50's Buicks...when he sold the farm I helped by letting him move 20 cars into my yard for a couple months (til the city sent me a letter!:D)...in return he gave me the 322 out of one and a rolling frame from a 264 manual car...Unfortunately Uncle Billy passed away from Covid last year...so that engine means even more to me now...my hope was to put it in a hot rod and take him for rip but time and tides changed that...last I checked it still turned over despite some hard storage over the years...maybe she'll run one day Uncle Bill!:)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  5. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Then you don't really know y-blocks or understand it's qualities.you can remain in your ignorance.

Cooon, bchctybob and alanp561 like this.
  6. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I do note the Windsor was reved higher than the y-block. What do you think the y-block may of achieved at the same revs. The cams though both high lift were clearly different as the peacked at about 5500 rpm. A different cam may have been good for higher revs. They are good for 7000rpm.
    That probably reached close to the limits of a factory Windsor block. The y-block with factory block has reached 700hp naturally aspirated. More than 900 with forced induction. All be it they are highly modified. As for cost? We don't know. Maybe the Windsor is cheaper due to the prevalence of aftermarket parts. You might want to check out what Jon Kaase is doing. Very clever. But significant modifications. I did find a Windsor with a dart block getting 700+hp. My point is the y-block should not be discredited as junk as clearly we are starting to see its potential like never before. The Windsor is common and for that reason boring as is the sbc. Not saying they are bad motors. Just generic.

Nailhead A-V8 and bchctybob like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Fun thread with pics of great engines.
    Every one having a story with hopes and dreams attached.
    Collect them and enjoy them.
    For those who think they should be sold off if they aren't going to be used or that they will be scrapped when the owner dies...start your own collection. Every car guys knows where engines are sitting that CAN be bought and "saved" so go grab them. Sell them to fund your own projects as has been posted.

8. 327Eric

327Eric

IMG_20230120_170341.jpg There is a 302 under this corner of the garage. Got a nice little second gen SBC waiting too. These free engines are hard to turn down. I have a collection of 283s and y blocks waiting for me if I ever get back up north.

Deuces, slayer, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Deuces and Moriarity like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s just what I hoped for, posts showing the engines and the dreams. I also suspected that there might be a few PMs flying back and forth and some languishing engines put back to work.

rod1, alanp561, TerrytheK and 4 others like this.
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I'm sure I'll get punched in the crossfire...BUT this is the HAMB we save and build OLD engines here..pretty sure that's what @bchctybob meant...please save your Windsor, LS, 350's and whatever else post'65 engine cross talk for another site... In my yard there's a 267 used as a door stop and a 255W as an ashtray they were runners but i'm not posting them here - cheers
    Anybody got a Stude they wanna build some day? What about a 375 Packard? MEL? School me!
    EDIT: I'd also like to point out...What happened to most of those cool old engines? Yup...replaced by a 350/302 by the like minded of this world and sent to scrap...our loss

@aussie57wag I guess these guys have never seen this:rolleyes: 190 mph Y block ...
    @57JoeFoMoPar then by your definition a Pinto 4 banger is traditional...but still has nothing to do with this thread;)
    @327Eric born and raised on W's love 'em...I could shoot the shit with you about them all day......on another site:)

aussie57wag and bchctybob like this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yep, as always pre-1965 and the unusual, orphan engines get to ride in front. MEL, Linc, Stu that's you....

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  13. 327Eric

327Eric

Windsors are traditional. You should read the write ups on the when the 221 was introduced, November 1961 Hot Rod.

57JoeFoMoPar and alanp561 like this.
  14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

This reminded me of how Bill saw the mechanical challenge behind every single vehicle out in the paddock... he never thought of any of them as junk...and intended to "get to" every single one...and would pour all his energy into any project set before him...ask me about the 391 Industrial [​IMG]in the old 60's Ford dump truck that I replaced once and redid the heads on the 2nd engine because he would forget to cover the carb after working on it!:rolleyes: LOL I asked him if it was time to give up and he said "Heck no I'm going to use that someday" Did he ever use it? No:D... but that's not the point...he saved it

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think if the Y Block revved as high as the Windsor it would have achieved a collection of parts on the dyno room floor, and even if it stayed together, likely wouldn't have affected the outcome because it's already past its peak numbers.

Again I've asked you for actual evidence of the claims you're making and again you come up with nothing. Here is a link to another engine they built, a 343 ci Y block with 13:1 compression (!) naturally aspirated. This one also has aluminum heads, high rise intake, 850 cfm 4 barrel....and makes ~530 hp. I personally think this is a very impressive build, but even this falls well short of your 700 hp claims for an NA engine, even with totally unstreetable compression. I just don't know where you're coming up with these claims.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/343 dyno.htm

What I am seeing with you is a moving of the chains, which is predictable and cheap. You clearly claimed on here that the Y Block is a "better" engine than the Windsor and that there is nothing the Windsor can do that the Y block can't. When asked to substantiate that claim, you've provided no evidence. When confronted with proof that your claims may be exaggerated, you take the argument to a different place, now claiming that the Windsor is cheap, common and uncool.

lumpy 63 and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Whatever you reckon. We'll agree to disagree. Your welcome to your view and welcome to express it. As I am to mine.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  17. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I was going to post more pics here but it feels like the thread is about to get shut down.

CSPIDY likes this.
  18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I don't disagree with you, but as correctly pointed out, SBCs and SBF are old engines and are HAMB relevant.

FWIW, I consider an engine HAMB friendly if its family was introduced during relevant times. So IMHO, a B/RB Chyrsler is traditional whether it came out of a 1958 Golden Commando or a 1979 Winnebago. A Windsor Ford is traditional whether it's a 1963 260 or a 1985 302. Nobody else on this board seemed to think that the French flathead blocks built in like 1988 were untraditional, so why should we feel differently about other engine families? IDGAF whether my SBC has side mounts and a road draft tube provision or not. It looks the same and if it doesn't, it's splitting hairs.

Oddly, it seems the traditional police give a pass to engines like the big block Cadillac and Buick, and in large majority, the BBC, small block Buick, LA Mopar, BBF, Gen II Olds, and others (These engines only became first offered at the very end of HAMB relevant times and are typically associated with muscle cars) simply because they aren't a SBC/SBF or if someone is "keeping a (insert engine brand) in a (insert same brand car)". Even if the more "traditional" swap is to use the damn SBF or SBC.

Finally, I often see the same clown on here saying that using a SBC is because the builder can't afford something different. While yes, it is true that a SBC or SBF is cheap to build than an obsolete engine, it's way more expensive to build a SBC (or buy a new crate engine) than to find some barely running shitpile of a Y block, Gen I Olds, etc., and just stick it in a car. I can find a running flathead on FB marketplace for like $1500 with a 51 Ford 4 door still attached to it, but a decent GM 350 crate engine is going to cost damn near $3000, and then it still needs to be outfitted with everything else to make it run. Who really cheaped out?

19. 327Eric

327Eric

I don't get the
    Post away, whatcha got?

bchctybob and Adriatic Machine like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It`s getting closer. IMG_5826.JPG IMG_5873.JPG IMG_5838.JPG

21. Budget36

Budget36

Gents, I don’t think this thread should be an engine comparison thing, Bob just asked about what engines folks have around. Sure, threads get sidetracked, but let’s try to keep this thread running in the spirit it was intended for. I sure like seeing others stuff.
    And hey, I didn’t know we were allowed to show B&S engines;).

22. "Look at me! I collect old engines" lol... we're all nut cases here in case you haven't noticed. But the best part is that we kinda understand each other's sickness lol. Hell I've got scrap pieces of metal that I refuse to throw away because I know that I can make a bracket out of it one day! It's a competition, unfortunately I don't have the coin to compete, but at least I can say shit like "i know a guy that has a garage full of those"... this is a good thread bitchy Bob.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    CSPIDY, enloe, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  23. IMG_0590.JPG 1969 427 with alum. heads , Isky solid roller cam ,12:1 compression . IMG_0196.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    Deuces, MRW1994, Tickety Boo and 8 others like this.
  24. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Just trying to get the thread back on topic, apparently it worked.

bchctybob and alanp561 like this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done!

bchctybob and Adriatic Machine like this.
  26. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

6E814757-52FB-4ADC-82DC-F68231172474.jpeg FB8E3E94-96D1-4BDF-BDC4-42D47579C21A.jpeg 0299299B-A122-4614-A627-C413FC5B6040.jpeg 495BA8D1-0A85-42C4-B311-0E7AD3CD9AC2.jpeg 366FE381-6D74-4E48-8969-DD3E2BC9E84D.jpeg So I like Lincoln V12s. I intend to figure out how to make them spin really fast by any means necessary. I’m a seasoned machinist and mechanic but not a trained engineer and hopefully I’ll live long enough to see it through. 6E814757-52FB-4ADC-82DC-F68231172474.jpeg

Attached Files:

Deuces, CSPIDY, MRW1994 and 13 others like this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

28. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Look up Jon Kaase engine masters.
    Also look for the book ford y-block. A performance history. You may be surprised of its achievements.
    long con rods, solid lifters, side oiler, air gap inlet manifold, rockershafts. All assist when looking for high revs.
    check this out

bchctybob likes this.
  29. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

^^^^ How about you post some pics of your Y blocks and get this back on track instead of derailing it again?

30. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2021/09/23/fords-legendary-y-block-still-in-style/ scroll down to engine masters. It speaks of 7000rpm.
    https://www.onallcylinders.com/2021/09/23/fords-legendary-y-block-still-in-style/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023