Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine turning sheet metal..???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hip

Hip

I know there was a pretty extensive tech on the proper formula to do the process a few years back, but i'll be damned if i can find it now. Does anyone remember or saved that thread, cause i could sure use it now. Thanks.

2. BobbyV

BobbyV
    from Tulsa

A second option is Metal Turned foil that is adhesive backed and available from most sign shops. I know it sounds hokey but, this stuff is actual metal and is really is turned, looks and FEELS perfect. It can be bought buy the foot and is available in Aluminum or 24K gold (pricey because it's real gold). I first saw it used on the sides of a new Fire truck. The letters and Crests were all digitally cut and applied then the edges were striped. Killer!!! Just a thought =)

3. Hip

Hip

"vtwhead", a million thanks man, just what the doctor ordered, and "BobbyV", i'll check that stuff out too. Not really for an under-hood application but that stuff could work well other places. Thanks again guys, and Happy (after) Turkey Day! ;>)>

4. I've been experimenting with engine turning and found a lot of info on the HAMB and google search. Thinking about doing our roadster dash this way. Been using sheet aluminum so far. Originally used a brass brush in our drill press but it makes deep grooves in the aluminum - I'm thinking we could make this look more refined. Ive taken a 2" roloc "scotchgard" style pad using the medium grade. Makes great swirls! Want to go a little smaller with the swirls so I ordered and today picked up a 1" Rolok arbor and will cut down some 2" pads I have.
    I chuck these up in our drill press and use a little oil on the surface - I think it works well. Now on to the dash...

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Didn't view the links, so this may have been covered, but using wood dowels in a drill press, along with a little valve grind paste, works pretty well too.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 525.jpg I made this from a peice I bought off of ebay Its engine turned stainless ,Cut with jig saw and holesaws for guage holes .www. hotrod works.net www.flame it .com has the vinyl engine turned sheet you need... Plan B if I couldn't use stainless .......

7. 52 csb

52 csb

Thanks for access to all this great ideas and workmanship tvwheel... Gotta set up my press:):):):):) 52 csb

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Check out Eamonn Keogh engine turning. He did a steering wheel and some other parts for me and did an excellant job.