Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine to Tranny Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Nov 15, 2009.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Hey, I need direction on my project. I have a 1951 331 extended bell block and I want to use my two speed powerglide. Do I cut the tranny bell and make a adapter plate for the Hemi to connect them, and how do I measure the input shaft so I dont cut the tranny bell to short. How far does the input shaft need to go in to the back of the crank? I have a 1/2" aluminum plate for the adapter. Do I add the 1/2" plate to the measurement of the tranny bell? Do I measure the input shaft from where it would seated in the crank and deduct that from the beginning of the bell housing with the addition of the 1/2" plate? Then cut the tranny? Am I way off base? just need some guidance form someone who's been there....Not sure the way to go.....THANKS GUYS!

2. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

anyone got any ideas?

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

If you cut the bell off you'll need to cut all of it off. The new bell will use the pump mounting bolts to bolt up the adapter. The input shaft doen't go into the back of the crank. It goes into the torque converter. The converter has a pilot that goes in the back of the crank. Now thats going to be a problem right there. I bet the GM pilot and the Mopar crank are not that same size. Better look for a adapter on line.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For very many reasons the best course of action would be to locate a '54/'55 33 block, use your heads and internals and buy one of the several available adapters for Gm/Chev automatic transmissions, including your powerglide. I had written a much longer answer detailing the issues involved but my dialup connect cut off and I lost the post. If you want to pursue that discussion PM me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009