Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine tilt angle vs. pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas Highlander Motorsports, May 27, 2011.

1. OK, I know that my engine is probably set at a 3 degree down angle and that, if the rear axle pinion is in line with the transmission output, the pinion angle should be 3 degrees up.

My question is this: I am going to use a 9 inch rear axle and the pinion looks to be offest 2.5" to the passenger side which will create a driveline angle with respect to the trans output. Will this incurred angle replace the pinion up angle or should I still set the axle at the 3 degree pinion angle regardless of the side angle?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Irregardless of the side or offset angle. Set up your engine/pinion to offset or cancell one another. TR

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

4. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2...This subject has been discussed numerous times. Please use the search function and you'll find exactly the info you are needing.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What he said........no need to look further........

Ray

6. gotit

gotit

All angles need to match. The offset will make the side to sidde angles the same. Your other angle(up and down) of the pinion needs to match the output of the transmission. Make everything match

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Looking down from the top view the engine centerline and the pinion centerline should be parallel. the offset does not matter. A lot of production cars had offset motors or rearends.

Ago

8. Millions of Ford rear ends/differentials housings were offset for millions of trouble free miles. Muscle car guys will atest to the way Mopar had become known to offset the Big block and Hemi engines to the passenger side for clearance around the steering box and shaft.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Angles need to match in any given plane. No need to calculate absolute angles unless you suspect that it's getting close to the u-joint's limit.

So, engine 3° and pinion -3° relative to the ground in the vertical plane: fine. Engine 0° and pinion 0° relative to the vehicle centreline in the horizontal plane: also fine.

Just for interest, assuming that the driveshaft is horizontal and, say, 50" long, the driveshaft angle in the horizontal plane would be 2.866°. The absolute angle will be in the order of 4.151° and will occur in a plane 43.691° from the vertical. Surely your u-joints will be OK at a tad over 4°?