Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Tech L-79 Camshaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. PackardV8

PackardV8

EngineTech is probably the largest supplier of rebuilder parts. Their stuff is worth what you pay for it, but it's not junk.

The L-79 is a nearly fifty year old cam profile that GM kept conservative because they had to warranty it. Much has been learned about cams and valve springs. I'd consider a 21st century cam and kit.

jack vines

belair and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  2. jammer

jammer

Do yourself a favor & go to your local Chevy dealer parts department & get a can of "EOS" engine oil supplement . Put it in your oil for break in , then drain it . & then put in some Penn brand w/ zinc .

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. That is a relatively mild cam, it will work fine in a street engine. Had one in a 350 SBC many years ago, I think stock Vortec heads can handle the lift without modification. I don't think mfr is as big if a deal as using proper break-in lube on the cam and lifter faces, break-in oil and following recommended break-in process.

I agree that a newer profile will likely work better. Single pattern cams are not the best for many mild performance applications.

4. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I bought that nostalgia L79 kit from Comp , it lasted about 100 miles before 7 lifters came apart . Call Schneider instead .

5. Vortec heads are supposed to be good for .450 to .480 lift, depending on sources. The L79 is .447, so you are good, if you do go ahead and use it.

6. I wish.. he does some wild shit. I was taking a machine shop course in 1981 when he was over on Verdi Street in Farmingdale and we were in the next unit. They came in later in the day and every so often they'd have a monster on the dyno.

7. Thanks for all of the responses and the insight, I’m not into social media, but you guys and the H.A.M.B. are great!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Not to give up all my secrets... I'll follow what the cam maker says, use full-flow Valvoline VR1 10W-30 oil with an additive. Since the RPM is around 2500, I'll keep the valve adjustment on the light side and do another adjustment after the 1st oil change.

Truckdoctor Andy and belair like this.
  9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I always go about 1/2 turn or less at zero lash on hydraulic , a lot of people seem to want to go more, maybe there is something to this .. shouldn’t be ...but maybe.. and have run multiple speedpro cams with no problems too

Baumi likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I go only a 1/4 turn from zero lash for better engine vacuum...

11. Some car repair manuals cam adjustments call for 3/4 of a turn, way too tight. I set mine statically at 1/4 turn to get the cam broken in. Actually mine is still set that way, it sounded so quiet under the valve covers I never went over it again.