Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson hot rod, Oct 31, 2010.

1. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

An engine swap is in the plans for the Hudson this winter, going to pull out the SBC and thinkin' about replacing it with either a 324 or a 394 Olds. They are a little heavier and the car only weighs a touch over 2600 lbs. Anyone have any tips/tricks on putting either one of those motors in a coupe? Are they too heavy? Also have to take into consideration the lack of parts availability over the counter as I drive it a lot. Would also have to change the diff, I have a limited slip 87 Camaro diff in it now, that aint gonna cut it! What da ya think?

The 324 with the 3 spd manual trans that would get changed over to an automatic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or a 394 and auto trans similar to this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going in to this.
    [​IMG]

2. 73RR

73RR

That 394 sounds like a good swap. No substitute for inches and torque.
    Unless you hang some giant tires out back the rear will likely hold for a while.
    Be sure to take pics!

3. 324. leave the 3 speed.

4. Energy

Energy

I vote for the 394. Maybe a late 50s olds or pont rear to go with it. "Shades of gassers past"!

:p

5. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if it's a problem with your coupe but the 324 that
    I am putting in my '40 Ford coupe had starter/steering box
    interference problems and I had to use a kind of rare starter
    change-over aluminum lower bell housing half that moves the
    starter to the passenger side. I have a spare one that's new.
    If you need one,PM me.I also have the complete '56 Olds Hydramatic setup,trans. and flywheel if you need it.

6. F&J

F&J

Just my 2 cents; I'd go 324 stick. Alum intake would save a small bit of weight.

I'd check with Goatroaper02 to see if he has what it takes to put a chev trans to that bell if you don't like the selector type 3sp. The chev input is too short but maybe he has a adapter pilot bushing or something..

It's not to hard to make a shifter for the Olds trans, but will have a backward shift pattern.

7. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I've been told that it is possible to put a newer 4 speed hydromatic behind the 324 so I'm gonna do some checking into that. Either way I decide to go it's gonna me an automatic tranny, I drove truck for 26 years and the last thing I want to do is shift another friggin' gear! AARRGGGGGG!!!!!:mad::D:D I would really like to run an aluminum multi carb intake with Fish carbs on it.