Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine swap favorites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hostaking, May 26, 2010.

1. hostaking

hostaking

Anyone have a favorite car back in the day that had a neat engine swap? I had a black 39 chevy coupe with red rims and whitewalls. It was powered by a 52 olds, hydro and a ford rear end. Just something neat about old time hotrods!

2. mj40's

mj40's

As you can see by my avatar, I'm into 40 Fords. Over the years I have installed or help install the flathead Merc, SBC, 289 Ford and 351, Olds, Hemi, and now I'm doing a 401 Buick nailhead in a 40 pickup project. My coupe has had 3 different types of drive train in the 45 years that I have owned it. I must say the full race 296 flathead was the most fun and gave me the most memories.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I had a '53 Plymouth convertible with a '55 Dodge 270 Hemi in the early 60's that is looong gone, but wish it weren't. Not a car on everyone's wish list.......but I did the swap when I was a teenager, successfully, and the car was a good looker for the day.........just a fond memory........

Ray

4. A buddy of mine back in '63 had an older brother who had a '50 Ford tudor with a '55 Chrysler 331" hemi in it running through the Ford tranny with an engine adapter, had the tunnel cut away for the Anson floor shift. Hot, noisy, and FAST!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Olds engines were and are a popular old school swap. Another engine swap I've seen for late 30's Chevys was a built 270 GMC. My cousin had one in his '49 coupe, it would MOVE.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My '35 was originally going to get a an Olds engine but now I have decided that a 265 Chevy with 4 94's feeding a Weiand WCFD intake is going to take it's place. I like how the Chevy motor uses the original Flathead engine mounting pads and everything looks appropriate.

For a second I was considering a Cadillac motor but I snapped out of it because I really dig early Chevy V8's.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

We had a 62 Ford PU, SWB unibody. We dropped a 63 Caddy 390 in it with a later 400 3spd auto. That truck would rock.

8. I think just about anything with the GMC 302 kicks ass!

9. farmer12

farmer12

I'm going all out with a 392 in a chopped 41 Plymouth coupe, backed up by a TKO 600, 3.70 gears in the rear and ww tires. Let's smoke them suckers!

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That 392 looks awesome. I can't wait to get on my 331 one day. The mixture of black and polished aluminum really sets it off. What is that motor pumping out HP wise?

11. farmer12

farmer12

Should pump out 500 hp.Check out my thread: "41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi", and all will be revealed.:eek:

12. I really dig the 292 Chevy 6 that I wedged under the hood of my '63 Biscayne to replace the very tired, original, 230 I6.

13. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

My most successful swap was a 350 Chevy to replace the OHC Six in an old Firebird back in the 70's. I drove that car for a long time and was very happy with the results. I'm embarrassed to admit it but until recently I've never swapped to anything but a small block Chevy.

My first swap was a 283 with cast iron powerglide into a '41 Chevy pickup. It worked but was never really finished. I sold it at 17 and have regretted that for all the many years since.

Currently I'm putting a Cadillac 500 in an old GMC pickup and expect to be very pleased with the result. But this is a current project not something I did back in the day.