Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap choices for Willys Jeep CJ2A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sammyg, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammyg

sammyg

As much as I love my L head engine (Flat head) It's time to pull it out and set it aside. It's dangerous in traffic, 60 hp doesn't move fast.

I've been talking to several people, and it seems a small block V8 would be my engine of choice. But, the issue arises of....SBC or SBF. The Ford has the distributor in the front of the block and won't run into firewall issues, but is over all a longer engine with the water pump. Chevy's are a dime a dozen it seems, cheap to build, but the distributor is at the back, and potentially will run into firewall issues. I'm not worried about the rest of the drivetrain as it's a 1/2 ton assembly, and Novak lists the T90 as a stout transmission.

It would be a SBC 305 or a SBF 302 or 289...

Discuss please and thanks

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It's a personal choice, my CJ2A had a SBC in it.

3. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

4.3 works well

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i would put this engine in it if i had the money.500ci amc all aluminum 800 pluse hp.or just a 304 or 360.you can buy them cheep{100-500$}complete,and there are a ton of parts to make them fast.ITS A WILLYS so why put a ford or chevy motor in it?well the indy motor pic wont load so i put two up of a cheep 360 motor i got for $50.and another one i slapped together thats in my car now.

Attached Files:

caseywheels likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Many years ago I had a CJ2A and installed a 225 Buick V6 and it was an ideal fit.....shorter than a V8, distributor in front, fairly narrow, easily adapted to the stock trans..........in those days it was the early 'odd-fire' .......now, of course, they are rare and the 3.8 liter 'even-fire' is widely available and inexpensive. As you point out, it's a relatively light vehicle and with the stock axle ratios, or even slightly taller, the V6 will give you all the speed the short wheelbase and high center of gravity can handle. At that time, mid 70's, it was easy to find a Warn OD which attaches very easily to the stock transfer case. But for just tooling around town, it really isn't necessary. And, as you probably know, Buick V6's were factory installed in CJ5's in the late 60's..........so it's 'kinda stock'.......

Ray

6. My '61 truck has an SBC it was normally the engine of choice.
    I've seen them with 360 fords in them as well. Or you could go way out on a limb and drop a Buick V-6 in it. We did that in high school with a froends Military Jeep. It would only run 80 MPHG flat out but 80 in one of those is just nutz.

Anyway GM small block is pretty common. Easy to do and works well.

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V-8 flathead. they look right at home in flat fender Jeeps.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I agree the 4.3 is a natural for the CJ, plenty of spunk.

caseywheels likes this.
  9. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

Years ago I had a 47 CJ-2 that someone put a 2.3 Pinto motor in.
    It was good for pushing snow (had a 6' plow) and going through the woods but was terrible on the road due to the 5:38 diff's.

10. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

You should get an engine\tranny swap manual for Jeeps from Advance Adaptors, lots of good info and they can help with hardware.

11. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Buick V6 fits nicely.

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

SBC fits into it but you'll have to cut the inter-headlight buckets on the grill. Find a 1960's jeep with a buick 225 v6 or the buick v8 for the adapter to a bolt in Chevy V8. If your going to swap the tras as well look for a 1972-77 T150 trans its a bolt on for a Ford 289-302 also the T-18 with the granny first gear is great for wheeling. One more option is the T176 fourspeed trans a bit harder to find then the others but a good gearset and a Bolt on to a Ford Motor.
    I have found a issue with the V8 motors in the flatfenders and that weight. When you go into mud the frontend like to sink into the sloppy stuff, sand HOLD on your going to fly:D.
    I think I still have a few adapters from my youth:D. He's a flatty with 2000 original miles . Its all original except the tires and little lift. With the 538 screws and 33" tire its not bad .

Attached Files:

13. 225 buick is a good swap, the easiest upgrade is a f head willys motor , I have driven a pinto powered gpw thats pretty good too.

My choice would be a mercruiser 140 (chevy II 4cyl) good power , light easy to get, sounds right . Thats problebly what will end up in my cj3b the next time it needs a motor.

14. Hey sammyg, The Buick V6 is the sensible choice, plenty of Umph for the little CJ2, not so much that it will ruin the rest of the drivetrain, easily adapted to the gearbox, reasonable gasmilage, and most of all cheap and lots of parts .
    IMHO, the V8s need to much alteration to the rest of the drivetrain/car to make it work. I have a couple of 4banger F-head CJ5s, and they are almost the same in respect to drivetrain etc. as the MB/CJ2 and the Buick V6 swap is almost a natural.
    shoehorning a smallblock in there might just turn out to be a lot of trouble while ending up with a car that is hard to handle, especially offroad.
    My 2cents, do what you feel is best !

15. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

my dad built a 42 ford jeep with a pinto motor i worked well

what do you want to do with the jeep wheelstands or just more reliable

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I run a Buick v6 in my 1953 willys jeep. I personally think a V8 is over kill.

Also, the stock jeep drive train is rated at 1/4 ton. That t90 won't hold up to v8 abuse. If you baby it around, the T 90 would probably work, but if you have to baby it, then why have a v8.

I also run a SM420 4 speed transmission. Which works great with it's compound low first gear - and it will never break in a light jeep.

17. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I also swapped in a 2000 pinto engine in an old 42 ford jeep I used to have. It worked very well but lacked a little low rpm torque I thought.

18. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

I gotta say I am surprised this thread is "ok" on here... so since it is... I have a '48 CJ2A with a 305 in it. I haven't driven it, yet, but the guy I got it from did say it easily pulls the front wheels off the ground. Have you been on the CJ2A website? Here is my one and only post over there that has photos of it, including what was cut to make the sbc fit.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/new-guy-48-cj2a_topic10637_page1.html

I've seen them used as push vehicles in old photos of dry lakes racing, that's kinda the look I am going for with mine. It's at the bottom of my "To Do List" though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  19. bct

bct

iron duke from a mail jeep....i've had 5 jeeps and the best one was a'80 cj5 w2.5....second best 48 cj2a.w/flathead......my 74 w/v8 would do wheelies on pavement...but i don't know what good that is....too much torque....not enough traction

20. bkwudz

bkwudz
    from billerica

I'm running a 4.3 and t350, in mine, the 4.3 fits like it was made for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. sammyg

sammyg

Holy cow, seperated at birth? That's a DEAD ringer for my color...
    I ended up with a 283 out of a mid 60's Chevy Pickup. 2nd 283 I bought...First was out of a 62 or 63 automobile, but the crank was ground .020 under and the rods were .030 (even possible?) so I got a smoking deal on the second one, and it runs!

22. dawford

dawford

Think about a 4 cylinder Mercruiser 470. It has a 70 lb aluminum block full of 460 Ford pistons and rods.

With a $500.00 aluminum 460 Ford performance head, the 4 barrel manifold and a QuadraJet carb it puts out about 224 Big Torque HP.

That's 1 hp per cubic inch.

It has a Chevy bellhousing pattern and weighs about 300lbs dressed out.

The low weight and high torque are perfect for a jeep.

I am putting them in my Model A Fords.

:) :) :) Dick :) :) :)

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

First choice would be a Buick V6 since it uses stock 66-71 Jeep components for install.
    Second choice would be a 4.3 GM V6 because it fits well and easy to get parts for.
    Third choice would be a Buick 215 Aluminum V8 as it is small & lightweight.

I've seen many SBC & SBF Conversions, all have entirely too much power for such a short wheelbase & lightweight vehicle, but that can also be fun.

If you need parts hit up my cousin & uncle over at Vintage Jeeps Inc (www.vintagejeepparts.com)

24. samurai mike

samurai mike

i put a 231 buick in my 42 mb. i think it's just the right amount of power to weight.

caseywheels likes this.
  25. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Has anyone put a Jag XJ 6 into a Jeep? Now that would be something.

Although I really like the idea of the Merc 470 marine motor. Tell us more and a few pix would be nice.

26. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I LOVE my buick 231 in my jeepster. It has decent power, and wont die. It would have pleanty of HP in a 2A that weights half of what my jeepster does. I would suggest using a SM420 at the same time. If your gonna be in there, toss that weak 3spd!

caseywheels likes this.
  27. sammyg

sammyg

Guess I'll post this up and show you guys the progress and where I stand... Just need to do fuel, clutch, and brake lines, steering linkage, steering box, electrical, radiator hoses, and shift covers.
    [​IMG]
    Ended up with 1" clearance between the mechanical fan and mustang radiator. Should be clear enough.

28. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.