Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mybeatupford, Apr 15, 2008.

1. well i know some of you guys have a ford 223 inline 6 engine and i was wondering, Are there any big difference's between a 1954 car 223 engine and a 1957 truck engine.and if so what would i have to change thanx-MATT

2. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

There's probably very little difference, if any at all. The factory 223 crapped out in my '57 Fairlane a few years ago. I was going to rebuild it, but I found one for sale locally that was from a a 1958 (I think) pickup. It was in good shape, had a glass bowl carb, pertronix, etc., so I grabbed it for cheap.

There is one thing is critical and will cost you hours and possibly days....trust me, I know! :eek:

The truck motor is probably in front of a manual tranny. If it is, and you are mating it up to a Fordomatic, there is a big brass bushing on the output shaft (of the engine) that needs to come out. It's a little bigger in diameter than a silver dollar and about 4x thicker...looks like a brass donut. Likewise, if you are going from an automatic to a manual transmission, you will need to add this bushing. I fought with this thing for almost a week, falling just short of getting the engine and tranny to mate up. I finally found a post somewhere that mentioned the bushing. I ran a tap into mine, threaded it and pulled it out with a bolt.

Aside from that, it was a very straightforward swap. PM me if you get into this and need some help or advise.

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

You didnt say which way you doing the swap...

First off the front mounts are different, the Truck has threaded boss's in the Block for the mount & the '54 car has a steel plate it bolts to.

engine mounts are different & i have seen the CAR MOUNT modified to fit in a truck, I am sure anything can be made to work but they are not a bolt in swap.

I think the front mount is the same .. Car & Truck .. up to 1956.

I know the Truck mount changed in 1957

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It's a shame you aren't closer. I've got a sweet running 56 223 that purrs like a kitten. Nobody needs one around here. I hate to shit can it but I might have to for the room.