Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Parts long term storage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marcosmadness, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

How do you protect precision parts with machined surfaces for extended periods (longer than a year) from rust. Presently I have 3 bare engine blocks (stripped), a number of cams, 4 cranks, a number of ring and pinions, and a number of heads I need to store until I need them. Obviously I want to protect the crank journals, the camshaft lobes, and all the other precision ground surfaces from any rust. What have the HAMBer's found effective to prevent rust in this type of situation. I need a solution that really works and hopefully doesn't require constant attention. The Military apparently used cosmoline for this purpose. Can you still buy cosmoline (where) or is there a better solution to this problem. Once the parts are coated do you wrap them in plastic, put them in boxes or ??? What works?

2. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Thick coats of wd40?

3. Skeezix

Skeezix
    from SoCal

4. Giovanni

Giovanni

Don't wrap anything in plastic, it will hold moisture against the parts. My hammer and dolly set is in a breathable canvas bag. I wiped down all the metal with an oily rag and left the rag draped over the top. They haven't rusted yet, and they are in a very humid garage. Maybe buy some cheap sheets to drape over your blocks and put some gear oil in a garden sprayer? Just avoid wrapping them air tight with plastic

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

WD is mostly kerosene, it's not going to get thick.

Cosmoline is the standard for long term protection.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

6. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Skeezix... I assume you are suggesting the McMaster Carr product...
    Petroleum Jelly
    Nondrying and nonhardening, these lubricants won't dissolve in water. Use them to coat and protect your metal surfaces. Technical Grade—Meets military specification VV-P-236. Color is amber.
    When I looked up the Mil spec VV-P-236 it refers to this as a lubricant so it might protect metal in the same way as a coat of motor oil. Other Mil Spec's specifically refer to corrosion prevention so I don't think this is the product to use.

Relic Stew.... good lead. I didn't know that Cosmoline was still made and if so, by whom. However, Cosmoline seems expensive at $50 a quart plus shipping.

Are there any other suggestions? Surely I am not the only one who stores spare parts and is concerned about rust. What do the Rod shop owners use?

7. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Bees wax ? We use it to protect machining tools,have seen stuff done in the 70 s and still looks like new when you peel it off.
    Melt it in a pot and pour it on.

8. I buy this at WT Tool South.. I used it for the entire 8 yrs on my build .Kept everything I used it on rust-free . My shop tends to be humid...Be sure to wipe the surfaces with lacquer thinner to remove any fingerprint oils,etc.. then spray...

http://www.itwfpg.com/rustlick/corrosion/631.html

Attached Files:

• 631.gif
      631.gif
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. Cosmoline is a good product used for long temp storage,basically it's part of the residuals of distilled petroleum,,think the old product in the medicine cabinet,,Vaseline,it just has more paraffin mixed in.

So Vaseline would probably do just fine for storage. HRP

10. LPS-3 corrosion inhibitor works great. I'm not sure where to buy it, as I get mine from work.

6-bangertim likes this.
  11. Pedal Power

Pedal Power

Semi van trailers have been an excellent storage place over the years ,they stay real dry

[​IMG]

12. vega1

vega1

The first thing is no moisture to begin get them dry before you put anything on them to protect them. Do not use wd40 for rust protection use cosmolene or grease you can wrap them up one they are completely dry have done it this way

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Passatisfaction

Passatisfaction

20 years ago when I was buying anything from my local old parts store they sold the parts soaked in instrumental/tool oil and wrapped in unbleached wax paper. They don't use acidic process for the unbleached paper. Which can cause damage on your engine or at least it could leave a nasty mark on your newly machined toys. It is water repellent because of the wax. Yet more breathable than cling film. The instrumental oil is what you use for sewing machines for example. It's one of the purest. It has the least detergents, additives, etc. which can leave a residue by storage time.
    I trust the knowledge of those old sports. They knew everything better than nowadays wannabes.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

High humidity will sure do a number, all it takes is a temperature swing overnight. Heavy parts hold the cold, if the humid air hits that in the daytime condensation forms like a cold can of beer.

15. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

LPS 3 is mighty impressive.
    https://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/612

Pricey in the $15 spray cans (over a buck an ounce).
    Buy a $75 gallon ( $0.6/ounce +/- ) and a $4 hand sprayer or revive the old sure-shot sprayer or even a garden sprayer.
    A ($160) 12 pack case of prefilled 20 ounce sprayers can end up $0.66/ounce.

Some of these tests are interesting. Like penetrating 1.5 inches into faying surfaces.
    https://corrosion-doctors.org/Inhibitors/CPCs-testing-Spray.htm

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/33_4/features/Corrosion-Protection-Coating-Test_5431-1.html

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just grab a tube of wheel bearing grease or motor oil. Wrap in some burlap bags.