Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine paint advice please ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost of ElMirage, May 21, 2012.

1. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Hey I got a really nice stock aluminun flathead intake from a guy in PA. I ran it thru my glass beeder and there are a couple of stubborn stains that just won't budge. I want the raw aluminum finished look. What is a good off the shelf rattle can engine paint that I should use?

thanx as usual

Ghost:D

2. robber

robber

I've always had good luck with Dupli-Color Engine Enamel.

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thanx Robber whered ya get it:cool:

4. my aluminum wheels were oxidized pretty bad so I had them all sandblasted.....then I sprayed them with a silver looking paint...no primer, just the paint and three years later they still look fantastic....worked for me.

5. robber

robber

You can get it at about any auto parts store... comes in a slew of colors. The silver will give you a pretty close to a bead blast aluminum look.

6. n847

n847

I used Duplicolor Engine Paint in "Cast Coat Grey" color on mine because of some stuborn stains that wouldn't come out with glass beading. I bet you could use the stainless color(its lighter), and maybe their is an aluminum like color. One thing I learned is you can mist it very light and evenly from a distance, and it won't burn off. If you put it on thick it will bake off and crack. I also used a VHT satin clear coat on top of that and it came out with a nice finish that is easy to clean. I would bake it in your oven per the instructions on the can! I got the Duplicolor at NAPA, and I got the clear from AutoZone, you could go with out the clear, but I like the sheen just remember to keep it all thin and that clear will run like a son of a gun!
    [​IMG]

7. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

vht makes a flat aluminum heat paint. I used it on an edelbrock intake and it looks new from the factory. picked it up at VIP. here's a pic

Attached Files:

• 040.jpg
      040.jpg
      File size:
      490.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  8. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I used duplicolor and I have also used rattle cans from Eastwood with great results, they also sell a way cool spray handle that fits on the can nozzle, much easier to control and no divots in your finger!

9. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thanx for all the replies guys

10. Vlopez22

Vlopez22