Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine oil synthetic VS conventional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andy198712, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Just take a quart of regular oil, and a quart of the same viscosity of a good quality synthetic, put them in the freezer. After they have cooled sufficiently, remove them and invert the bottles. Case closed, the synthetic wins every time. (That was one of the reasons that, during WWII, the Germans developed synthetic oils in the first place. They had a problem in the Russian winter because the recoil mechanisms of the big guns would freeze up).
    A boat is a very unsophisticated engine dyno. If you were to run the engine to max throttle, with the correct prop for the boat (and under the same conditions), at full power, the RPM will stabilize at predictable limit. Just the act of switching the engine, transmission, and leg, to a high quality synthetic oil, (Amsoil, or any other synthetic oil that meets the stricter European standards), will increase the maximum RPM between 150 and 300 RPM. This is a power increase of between 5 to 10% at the business end.
    I used to make a bet with potential customers that were boaters. the bet was that simply changing from regular oil to synthetic in any boat, that there would be, between a 150-300 increase in max RPM after the change. If there was no improvement, I would pay for all the oil, and the cost of the change. I never lost one bet in over 35 years of selling synthetic oil.
    BTW, the same thing holds true for an aircraft with a fixed pitch propeller, or in off road logging trucks.
    In the days of the carburettor, just the act of switching an engine to synthetic oil, would increase the idle RPM by a significant amount, (300 -500 RPM).
    The secret of successfully using synthetic oil, is keeping the oil clean by using the best air and oil filters.
    Synthetic oil user since 1965 (aircraft), and 1979 (auto, and marine)
    Bob

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A featured thread about traditional oil vs the newfangled stuff?

3. Glad you guys are having fun because the OP only ever made 1 post and hasn't been seen since July 6. Nearly 3 weeks ago. Nice.:rolleyes:

firstinsteele likes this.
  4. PFFFT, I only use era specific, barn find oil.

[​IMG]

5. I set up a fracking rig in my driveway. Trying to recover all the years of oil leaking from my cars. So far...two barrels of crude, my lost trailer hitch lock key and my neighbors cable TV connection.

6. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Years ago I read that if you run synthetic oil on a freshly rebuilt engine the rings would not seat. I've always used conventional oil until the engine was broken in, then I'd switch to synthetic with zinc.

7. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

i run a front engine dragster with a 6-71 on top of a 350 buick that uses 1.88 honda rod bearings. because of the wonderful buick oil system i was running 80-100 psi. turned it down to 60-80 due to cam/dist gear wear/drag. have to change them every other year. but i run amsoil 10-30 with no issues or failures and change it every 2 years. and the driver turns 65-7500 rpm on this engine. all this drives the amsoil rep nuts. and there is no oil filter on this engine.
    if you build it right and treat it right, any whale oil will do.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. Pat Leyland

Pat Leyland

i have an old 2000 911 they said use mobile 0-40 change oil every something stupid 12 or 24 thousand miles then few yrs later don't use 0-40 use 10-40 change it all the time so screw that i change oil an filter 10 or 15-30 or 40 castrol or whatever an 4 doller of stp just because i old every year having said that my sbc supertruck an the porsche get driven equel amounts and thats not much maybe 1000 miles between the two oil change time i can smell gas in the oil in both of them because i think they aren't driven enough to heat the oil i guess if you really want to drive bunch of miles an makes you feel good buy whatever they putting into buggati's an the stufs um i'm going to have couple of happy hrs under my stufs where the wife can't yell at me every summer :)

9. Pat Leyland

Pat Leyland

Well all kinds of company's sell bottled water that they take from a tap bottle it an sell it for more than the price of quart of oil i wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a jug of oil cause i don't believe those money grubbers thats just the world now anything for a buck for me cheap oil is probably at least cheap oil an a bottle of stp has that zinc an zz stuf in it on the other hand if i blow my motor gives me something to look forward to guess it depends on if you like working on cars or bragging about your 50000 car you use synthetic in going to last til god rusts over an if it doesn't you buy 100000 dollar one and find oil leaked out of a virgins butt lol

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Perfect example of why we need a "dislike" button.

j-jock, TrailerTrashToo and HemiDeuce like this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You have your opinion., He has his , everyone is free to have Thiers , Don't see anyone twisting arms either way ...

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^ I realize you're already pissed at me and I really don't give a rat's ass. But take a closer look at post#69 and then tell me it is a coherent and sensible post.
    And BTW, it's spelled "Theirs"

X38 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  13. Sensible and coherent are out of vogue these days.... LOL

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  14. I think it’s a Russian smuggler’s code. I know for sure that “oil leak out of a virgins butt” means “the vodka is in the toilet” nyet?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    dirty old man likes this.
  15. I don't think he proof reads.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

This isn't personal ,I'm not attacking your character , Im questioning your statements . I do take exception with those that make blanket statements inferring that their " facts" are somehow the only ones acceptable , especially on such a factual laced venue the likes of an internet forum ! Coherent & sensible , I don't much care , but he's as entitled as anyone to make his statement . Shocking ! I'm sure I'll roast in hell for eternity for the egregious error of misspelling their , so there !In the immortal words of Steve Martin , Excuuuuuuuse Me ! LOL

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020