Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine mounting--->how close to firewall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alex Yohnk, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Aesthetically, and generally, how close should the engine be to the firewall? I'm not talking about clearance issues, just a question relating to proportions.

The reason I'm asking is because I was mocking up my engine and transmission last night (small block ford in a 1946 ford coupe), and I will have roughly 3" to 4" of space between the back of the heads and the firewall, and to my eye, that looks like the Grand Canyon. However, if I move the engine/transmission back, I'll have to modify the stock x-member, which I really don't want to do.

Input??

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

If you have enough at the front to clear the water pump, fan and radiator then and the engine looks balanced in the engine bay then anything is good.:D

3. I wouldn't think that's to much space. I would choose that option instead of a lot of frame work to get it closer just to half to use a 8" fan spacer.
    The Wizzard

4. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

You're right. I should wait to see what it's going to look like with the radiator in the car to see if everything looks "balanced".

5. Now your on the Right page. Your going to find out the 46-48 is a rather large motor compartment.
    The Wizzard

6. Dirk35

Dirk35

Captain Scarlet hit the nail on the head. If you are running a Mechanical fan, you want about two inches between it and the radiator. Stuff everything else where it fits from there and modify the firewall should it be necessary. You can also use a fan spacer to get closer to the radiator, shold that be necessary. However, moving the radiator (if your running fenders and hood, well......... it belongs where it belongs to keep the fenders and hood in the correct spot, and thats it.

7. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

thanks guys. i remember as a kid at shows, my dad would always make comments about motors too far from the firewall. it must have blinded me to the fact that once the radiator is in, it will ballance out. I'll have to look at pics of where the original radiator is mounted, as I don't have the original rad. or any idea of the exact location of mounting.