Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine in exact middle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28model32, Jun 25, 2017.

1. 28model32

28model32

I must agree I think I am being too picky after all it might be different once it goes back together after paint!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

upspirate likes this.
  2. 28model32

28model32

I know some of you guys dont like the big "flower pots" as air filters they are something I'm toying around with for now not sure if they will stay looking at other possibilities I enjoy the comments!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do this and you'll be WWAAAYYY off center. 1/8' is one and a half inches.

TagMan and Atwater Mike like this.
  4. engineer alert!:D;)

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

General math. Period.

So far...(34 posts!) No one has suggested a plumb bob or a level. I can't count the number of Deuce framed 'street rods' that came into my shop for repairs, and I'd measure the parameters...I found 'Diamonded' frames, parallelograms, one straight rail, one 'bowed', etc., etc.

Funny story (I've told it before) At home here, when first retired, I built a rolling frame jig for my ASC rails. When centering my Model A rear crossmember, my bad back hated walking around, or 'under'...so I used 2 yardsticks, one on each side...No matter how much I moved the left to catch up with the 1/8" I was chasing, it was 'over center'.
    Finally, I put the yardsticks together, the left was off by 1/8" @ the 36" mark! (the one on the left was a Wally 'Made in China'. Checked it against a Starrett tape... LOL

Run a string down the center of the frame. Measure from both sides, at 2' intervals (2 foot, 24")
    If engine is in car, use a hanging plumb bob. Also a carpenter's square, IF the floor's level.
    Ignore the above if it's 'close enough'... When I measure 'finished crossmembered frame' diagonally, I pull it to ZERO.
    Then I can measure from anywhere. But that's just me.

6. inthweedz

inthweedz

Sheesh, c'mon Atwater Mike, I mentioned checking with a level waaay back in post #18.. Lol.