Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine ID? Sleeve valve?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideways_403, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

There was a motorized version of that engine in the original Harrah's Collection... very cool to see the engine tech of yesteryear. I'm told it was a very smooth running engine.

4TTRUK

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I knew an old time antique car fan, now passed on, who used an unrestored 1926 Willys Knight 4 cylinder as a tour car in the sixties and seventies.

He told me when he started off in the morning it would burn a quart of oil in the first sixty miles, after that, nothing no matter how far he drove. Next day same thing, a quart of oil in the first sixty miles, after that, it burned no oil.

It seems to take a long time for one of those engines to get up to operating temperature but once it does, the oil burning stops.

By the way conventional engines in the twenties burned oil too. Rolls Royce said up to 200 miles per gallon was normal. That was a big motor, normal cars if they burned a quart in 100 or 200 miles were in good shape.

Sleeve valve engines were used in truck and bus service, no conventional engine could touch them at that time for long life and durability. One of the manufacturers of sleeve valve cars tested their engine against a Cadillac V8, in full power tests the Cadillac was practically a wreck after 200 hours, the sleeve valve was running perfectly and made MORE power than on the first day of the test.