Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine guys....bore hone finish question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hey guys I'm looking to grab a ball /flex hone to do some honing for fresh rings.

What do the engine guys here recommend for a final grit finish for cast rings (non moly)

I'm getting conflicting opinions on this one.

Any thoughts?

Rat

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I use both ,I have a stone then follow up with the ball,Im not an engine builder,Ive built a few ,

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

About 180 grit is what I would use. Been building my own engines for 50 odd years.

4. Thanx any other thoughts on this ?

BTT

Rat

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

5. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

as an aside , what grit ball hones are available here anyway?

6. Dunno have'nt looked into that as yet Ben but I guess that they'd be available from suppliers locally as well. Cheap enuff to find on Epay though.

My mail is that 180 grit is the way to go for cast rings (no moly).

Rat

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

the stones in my triple hone are 120 grit, seems to be fine, but i would say 180 too.

I bet there is is only one dunny-brush hone grit available anyway.

8. Mate, there are many diff grits available in different bore sizes as well. Dunny brush grits can vary from b/w 120-380 from what Ive seen.

Plain cast iron, moly and chrome rings all usuallyuse different bore Ra finishes due to the different material used in the rings and the different environments/applications that the engines are used for.

Engine Pro (where are you?) what finish do you use for plain cast rings? (I think they're Hastings from ROSS Pistons)

Rat

9. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Have an engine builder at work Frank, does alot of old hotrod engines. Will ask him monday if i remember

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I'm aware there are different grits and recommendations for differing ring types, was more a comment on how it's very hard to source good (ie not chinese cheap)engine building equipment here..maybe I don't know the right suppliers.