Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine ground straps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andy 'lowlife inc.", Dec 10, 2008.

1. I had built a stock car years back and totally neglected to run any extra ground straps! Man, fired it up, it ran well for a few seconds, started to misfire and the battery cables started smoking.

I killed it right away and realized what I did. Or didn't do. I made up a short cable to go from the back of the intake manifold to a lug I welded on the roll cage. Ran another one at the back of the car where the battery was, after doing that I had no other problems with it.

Bob

2. 73RR

73RR

Like others have said, I would not rely on the frame as a conductor with a rear mounted battery.

No mention was made about the type of ignition system for the engine. If you are running any type of electronic ignition you cannot, IMHO, have too many ground wires.

3. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

bad grounds are the root of many electrical problems. good grounds are more important than most people realise.

4. Insane302cancan

Insane302cancan
    from Cali

Thank you guys! i did a search on google and found this thread. Lots of good information. I was actually having an issues on my 92 H/B. Factory came with the 6/8 guage wire from the starter to the starter solenoid and a 6/8 wire from the block to the negetive terminal on batt. Also a ground strap from the driver side head to the fire wall. Well out of no reason i noticed that my car started to misfire bad. No other symptoms. so i switched plugs and wires. still had the issue. When i was pulling the motor to get the car painted, I noticed the ground strap on the head was not secured and the bolt was holding on by two threads. so im wondering if the ground strap had a part to play in that. Ran great from about 3500 rpm to redline. but bad misfire from idle to 3500.. I think i may invest in some ground straps for the opposite head and starter.

5. 49 Custom

49 Custom

I'm installing a MSD ignition system for my 8BA '49 flathead. It includes their coil, distributor, and 6A ignition control. A few of the wiring diagrams show wires being connected to either "ground" or "negative battery pole". Is their really a difference between grounding a wire and connecting it directly to the battery?

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I remember the circle track article and yes the plug problem was cured by adding the ground strap to the cylinder head .I also worked for a pontiac dealer back in the early 70s they were having major issues with right front wheel bearings getting chewed up on new cars the cure was an added ground strap according to one of their service bulletins it seems that somehow the wheel bearing on that side was arcing because of a bad ground I know that seems odd but it is what they found out was caused by a bad ground.I also had a 62 impala that lost most of the electrical system all at once after hitting a bad pot hole in the road the car stayed running but guages lights heater etc. all went out instantly like you threw a master switch to them the cause was that small ground wire that goes to the body from the battery ground cable .We had the wrong battery in the car and that little cable was pulled tight to reach the post in the wrong location the jolt from hitting the pot hole was enough to pull the small cable from the eyelet at the body end luckily we had the car only a couple days and it was covered under the warrentee because it took the dealership a while to find the problem.