Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Freshening Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwayzarat, Mar 30, 2013.

1. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I've got a Chevy 350 I'm running with double hump heads, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, hooker longtubes, and an unknown "RV" spec cam.

I want to keep the intake/carb setup and upgrade the cam and heads. I like the traditional look of iron heads, and am considering a set of Dart Iron Eagle SS heads from Aerohead Racing.

I'm looking for some cam recommendations and if the components I've mentioned fit the theme for a good street car with torque in the lower power band.

I estimate my current compression ratio with the 64cc double hump heads to be around 9.5:1, although I won't know for sure until I see what type of pistons I currently have. I've learned a lot on here, but I'm still a novice at best. Any recommendations or guidance are greatly appreciated.

I'm on a tight budget for this build, so I think the price of rebuilding the double hump heads, valve job, and porting is out of the question.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The price of rebuilding your double bumpers is going to be more than the Iron eagles you speak of, and the Eagles probably will perform better. But the dollar difference will be similar. For low to midrange power, I think any duration under 220 @ .050 lift would be good. Just look at cam profiles that the RPM band starts at idle or 1000.

3. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The Equalizer Retrofit Vortecs might be worth a look, much better ports and chamber but will fit your 350 stuff.

[​IMG]

Made from the highest grade cast iron, the CH350E (EQ Part #CC170BA) replacement cylinder head comes with a heart-shaped 64cc Vortec style combustion chamber, a 170cc intake runner volume, ‘69-‘86 intake bolt pattern and features center bolt valve cover mounting holes. The CH350F (EQ Part #CC170BA2) has the same features as the CH350E but includes perimeter bolt valve cover mounting holes.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do you know if the intake runners are raised? Or the valve cover gasket area raised? That is a good option. Some GM heads the intake runners are raised, and have to use a certain intake. I am using a Inglese intake from the 80's.

After reading about them, the runners are raised. That will eliminate alot of aftermarket intakes, I could not use them with my Weber intake. I wish I could.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

5. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Wow! That is interesting, I never knew there was such a head. That is an awesome idea though! I will research and give them a call. Thanks for the tip!!!

6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

"Both the CH350E/F Vortec cylinder heads allow engine builders to re-use existing, stock, chrome and cast aluminum intakes and valve covers while receiving the benefit of the latest chamber design for improved airflow."

Here is the EQ Vortec type chamber, better quench and plug location...

[​IMG]

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...s_for_1969_to_1990_350_chevy_57l_engines.aspx

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I missed that! THanks, these might might work after all.

8. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

great info---thanks...

9. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Hoop98,

That's a great pic, and thank you for the info. Those heads really look to be machined excellently. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what an assembled set runs with decent springs. I'm using an edelbrock performer intake right now and I will ask specifically about that. Doesn't look like it will be an issue though.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

They would have hard seats too compared to the old camel humps, yes?

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, that is what I read about them.

12. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I went on my desktop dyno and put in the flow numbers for these heads along with some cam choices. The great thing about "Vortec" heads is the amount of torque they make in the lower rpm range as their original application was in trucks. See what you think of this...

With the EQ Heads,and a Comp XE262H cam with specs of 218*/224* duration at 0.5 and 0.462/0.469 lift at 0.500, long tube headers, 600cfm carb, standard dual plane intake, and a conservative 9.5:1 compression it rates the combo at 343.2hp @ 5000rpm and a honkin' 410.6 ft.lbs. @ 2500rpm!!!

So..... I'm thinking with the low 1st gear in the 700r4 I have, and the 3.73 gear I have, along with either my current 2000 stall converter or an upgraded 2400rpm stall I think this would be a fun little motor to drive around town and burn the tires :D

Thoughts???