Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine for my Diamond T hauler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garyv, Mar 10, 2008.

1. garyv

garyv

I've got a 1947 one-and-a-half ton Diamond T truck that I want to build to haul cars and bikes around. I was thinking of an inline diesel, but with the current pricing difference between diesel and gas some of the advantage is lost.

A gas engine would better suit my knowlege and an inline engine would better suit the engine bay of the truck. I'd like to find a balance between fuel economy (for those cross-country trips) and performance (for pulling all that weight).

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

gary

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Consider the Diamond T cab & nose on a later 1 ton chassis. It ends up easier & cheaper, plus it'll do a better job. A rollover total recent Dodge long wheelbase diesel may be close to what you need.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

What kind of one-off Diamond T?

Have you driven a Diamond T any distance?

I have two of them. They are wonderful old trucks but not ''cross country'' unless you have a lot of time and a good bladder..... no matter how much power they have they are still an old truck

If you do want do take long drives I think the newer chassis swap is a good idea

4. garyv

garyv

Nope, never ridden in one. This one is a 306. Doesn't run and somebody cut the frame off right behind the rear mounts of the rear springs. It's not long enough to carry a car as it is, so something will definately have to be done, framewise. A full-on chassis swap is probably in its future. I'll have to start looking around for a wreck, as mentioned above. Be better all around - steering, brakes, ride.

I'm just in the "envisioning" phase right now. I go out and stare at it, trying to imagine the possibilities. I just love the look of it. White. I'm gonna paint it white.

Thanks,

gary

5. I don't know of any gas engine that will pull the milage a 5.9 Cummins will. Even if the fuel costs 50-60 cents more a gallon, the blocky 89-93 Dodges with that motor are known for 20-25 MPG empty or pulling a loaded trailer. Going to a gas engine you'll be lucky to get half that for MPG.

Since an inline fits better, you might look at some of the Isuzu diesels used in the package delivery trucks. I think it's the 4BT that has gobs of horsepower and can be bolted up to both Ford and Chevy pattern auto transmissions. Built and geared right you'd get excellent fuel milage, be able to haul a car on the back and tow one on a trailer behind if you wanted.