Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Engine Detail

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 57 shaker, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

How do you detail an engine that has lots of chrome ? Is there such a thing as spray it on and rinse it off with no residue ? Any help would be great

2. squirrel

squirrel

lots of elbow grease.

There is no magic way to do it, that I know of.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A magician never shows his secret while on stage.

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Q-tips, soft tooth brush, and spray cleaner .

5. And hope there are no rust pits.

6. If it has been neglected for a long time it will help to soda blast the crud from the corners, the soda then will just wash off.

7. robracer1

robracer1

If it has not been detailed in a very long time just keep the hood closed!

Bandit Billy and CME1 like this.
  8. aaggie

aaggie

Neat and clean yes but shiney not so much. My cars are built to drive and maybe abused a little so I don't get into the chrome and high polish stuff. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it on show cars and know what it takes to keep it up. I would rather spend my time driving than leaning over a fender with a collection of long screwdrivers with rags tied to them poking into cracks and crevices.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If you do it fairly often so that there's no crud buildup, Simple Green on a cold engine, then hose off and then use a leaf blower to blow dry will get you to a point that all you need to do is a little wiping on the chrome and polished alloy with a bit of detail spray. If you have let crud build up it's gonna take that elbow grease and a toothbrush along with some solvent or the Simple Green beforehand.
    Biker shops sell a product called "Bike Bright" that works well also, but more expensive than the SG.

10. Never drive it and it will stay pretty and shiny but wheres the fun in that? :D

If detail is important just stay on top of it and clean the engine regularly. HRP

da34guy likes this.
  11. vickckik

vickckik

I use a wet/dry shop vac to remove the soapy water residue and the clean water rinse. I made an adaptor so I could use a small diameter flexible hose instead of the plastic tube used for vacuuming the floor. It mostly eliminates the splatter caused by using compressed air.

12. 34Larry

34Larry

Well I drove this engine in my '66 Rivi lots of miles to lots of places over the 20 years I had it so it can be done, IF, you keep at it. Including the engine bay is a must also. Be prepared to spend plenty of time if this is what your after. It starts with lots of cleaning deciding what will be shinny what will be painted, rerouting some things, then plenty of dedication to the job. If your just after a clean engine and engine bay, do as most have said here. 100_1158.jpg

13. Fourdy

Fourdy

DSC_0005.JPG
    A little toweling after each show and a bath once in awhile.

Fourdy

robracer1 likes this.