Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine Choices!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MannyK, Jun 16, 2013.

1. I am planning out a 5 Window build, although I wont be able to start it until I get all my other cars finished, and I ran into a problem. I have two engines in my garage that I can use, both in working order. I have a 292 Straight Six with 3 Stromberg 97s and a 283 SBC with dual quad carbs. Or should I get a 350-383 ci crate. I want to be diffrent but need an opinion. This is going to be a 60s inspired build. Will the 6 give me enough power?

2. Nothing?!?!?!?!?!

3. 5 window what? HRP

4. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

Go with the 6 and the 97s,

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

"I want to be diffrent but need an opinion. This is going to be a 60s inspired build. Will the 6 give me enough power?"
    I like the small blocks done traditional looking but it would hardly be different. 5 window A as a fenderless car or full fendered 36 Ford a lot of difference weight wise. Either way you can get plenty of torque from a six and it is a cool factor versus the popular smallblock.

Good problem to have by way. Engine exposed or fully hooded would also be a factor for me in how much it will be seen, closed up 98% of the time I'd run the V/8. Desiring a unique sound? Sixes are defifintey telling by their rap done with duels.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I like the idea of the inline 6

7. sorry about not stating the year. Its a 32 5 window. I was going more towards the 6. It will be fenderless. So will the power be good with a 6? Any 292 performance parts?

8. And it will have no hood. No top hood and no sides.

9. I want to be diffrent but need an opinion. This is going to be a 60s inspired build. Will the 6 give me enough power?

Opinion coming up ....

The idea of a 350-383 is a fucking joke right ? Certainly not 60s or different - So that's out the window like a smelly cat.

The 283 would get you into 60s build but kind of out of the "different" criteria. Still a great choice though.

Your inline 6 will be more than enough for white knuckle ride with a few goodies and they look very nice when dressed well.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Different?
    Do the six.
    Plenty of power.

11. Opinion coming up ....

The idea of a 350-383 is a fucking joke right ? Certainly not 60s or different - So that's out the window like a smelly cat.

Yea, I really dident want to do a 350 but wanted to add in another suggestion to see which way I should go.

12. Thanks for the advice everybody! I pretty sure I'll be going with the 6! The build wont be for a Loooooong time, but when I start it I'm sure I do a build thread!

13. If it is a Chevrolet or maybe a Chrysler product the 6 sounds good. If it is a Ford go with the SBC. What the heck do you have?

Charlie Stephens

14. inliner54

inliner54

There are plenty of performance parts out there for 292's. great engines. Check our Cliffordperformance.com

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. 283 with 2 fours

16. coupemerc

coupemerc

283 with 3 Strombergs!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Dress your belly button 350 - 383 up like a 283 and have some REAL fun .
    MHO $.02

18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

For inspiration to use the six check out the 292 that "scoop" (hamb handle) has in his fenderless chev pickup. Sweet!

19. It is a chevy 292. And that is what I will use. I suggest you go on youtube and search "gearz hot rod straight six" . That is how my 292 is set up. I want to put on velocity stacks like that also.

20. Where would I find pics of it?

21. Where would i find pics of that?

22. guitard

guitard

Context is everything. Enough power for some fun, or to pull a trailer, or for long 85-mph highway tours?

Manual trans or slushbox?

4.11 9" or 2.45 Cutlass rear end that was laying around?

You'll just use more of the pedal with the six, but 292 cubes is 292 cubes. In a light car, it'll be plenty. AND different.

SBCs are great if you want to daily drive it, never have to sweat the wrenching, not have to figure anything out, or even question parts availability while you're cross-country road tripping it every year. But dress it up nice 'n old-school or face the wrath.

23. Manual trans. I was thinKing of using a 4 speed. Yea most likly a 4 speed!

24. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

25. dad-bud

dad-bud

SBC's are great engines because they just work good. They fit everywhere, they're inexpensive and they can make good power.
    Sensible option would be the SBC.
    Who said hot rods were sensible?
    Put in what you want, the SBC is less fashionable only because they're so popular. Lots of folks think that's a bad thing - good for them. Let them build what they want - you just build what you want.
    The 292 CID Chevy 6 will be a good engine, but it will be longer than the flatty or SBC if you're trying to fit it into a 32 Ford engine bay.
    Good luck with the build - make sure you post us up some pics
    Cheers.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good choice with 6, just measure up for clearances of firewall/radiator. run a 5 speed?

27. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I think the 6 is a good choice, nothing like a pretty lookin tri powered strait 6

28. Thanks for the opinions and thanks joeycarpunk for the pics!