Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KomoG2, Dec 19, 2014.

1. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

I haven't been on here in a while, attending Gunsmithing school, and Ive had build ideas rolling around in my head for some time now.

One being an old Indy inspired, midget-esk, two seater, flathead powered run about.
    Something that's open wheeled, aluminum bodied, open engine bay, but with a small trunk in the back for carrying small stuff, tool roll, some parts, groceries etc.

Also had this idea of a late 20's-early 30's two door sedan that can make long hauls. Not too much room in them for crossing state lines but if I had a period engine or at least one that looked like it was supposed to be there what I'd like something that looks like it should be in a period piece. May haul a small tear drop or cargo trailer behind it from a custom hitch set up but Id want something that can handle the haul with some torque to keep it all with traffic.

Like I said before these are just ideas rolling around up there.
    Thanks guys

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you mean what I think you mean, a flathead six Chrysler/DeSoto/Dodge/Plymouth engine should fill the bill.

Or maybe a 300 cu in Ford truck six. They are great engines, strong powerful and long lived, and are still easy to find. It would not be hard to dress one up as a vintage engine.

I take it you want to avoid a modern OHV V8, or Ford flathead?

For the Indy look, there are lots of DOHC 4 cylinder engines these days that can be made to look like an Offy. The Olds Quad 4 if you take off decorative spinach. There must be others.

3. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Yeah Rusty O'Toole, something like those would be cool.

Kind of leaning towards a Ford Flathead for the runabout build. I've got a few good starters for cool torquey mills.

As for the Tudor Hauler, would like to keep it V8- just preference- don't want to go late model if I can help it. Vintage iron is always cool. Just don't know what would have enough moxie to haul and keep up with modern traffic for long trips... Yet.

4. 73RR

73RR

...nothing says 'hot-rod' quite like an EarlyHemi....

Hnstray and 51 mercules like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!