Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine budget figures...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurdueSD, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Im gathering bits and pieces for a later 50s era model a highboy build. Hope to get rolling here in a month or so. That being said i have a lot of final decisions to make.

I had been planning on a nicely garnished sbc to look the part. From some research it looks like 3/4k budget for a crate long block with 3-2 intake and carbs is a good guess. 290 HP. Just something fun to tear up the streets.

What type of numbers would it take from a budget standpoint for a turn key olds rocket, or a y block similarly apportioned? Just vague type figures..double? Tripple?

I know the small block chevy is going to be the best bang for the buck. But what type of ball park figures to get into something a little more unique? I know they don't mfg crate 303s or y-blocks... so i can't just go look something up. I am just trying not to waste an engine builders time on figures when there might not be anything to talk about!

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

If I read your no.s correctly you are planing on buying a crate motor and tripower for $750?

3. i believe he means 3 to 4 thousand dollars

you could get the 260 HP GM crate for about $1500 , then add a better cam.

4. Yes, I had a budget of $3000 to $4000 for the sbc. Just wondering what it would take for an olds or y block built/ dressed to similar specs.

Thanks!

5. squirrel

squirrel

Someone whos good at scrounging could get it done for that much....but they'd also probably only spend half as much to do it with a small block.

You might watch the for sale ads, you never know when someone might be wanting to get rid of their sweet old motor. Buying someones cast-offs as a package deal should save you a bunch of money.

6. If you wanted to build an Olds and get all new components, just like your sbc would have, you'd be at least looking at double the sbc number. It'll all depend on how "much" stuff you want on there I guess, where you get your parts from and who is doing the work. (all things you don't have to worry about on the crate engine)
    That being said, if you want your Olds to be done right, give @GOATROPER02 a shout!

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I have a good rebuildable 292 Y-Block core that I can turn into a turn key motor for you for about $3500 to $4000 depending on what parts and goodies you want on it. That fits right in your budget range. I spent a little over $4K on my FE Ford (see avatar) a few years ago, and that included a new set of Edelbrock Heads and quite a bit of machine work, including one sleeved hole.

8. I got a killer 394 and B&M Hydro that I could sell you for about 3K, you would probably add another grand getting it set up correctly for your highboy and I am in cheap.

If you wanted to set up an Olds motor comparable with trips (2x4s were also popular in the later 50s) to what you are looking at for an SBC you could easily double it.

*Note: unless you have e-85 on tap you probably don't want this particular olds motor it is @ 12:1 compression static.