Register now to get rid of these ads!

Energy bill to get rid of cars 15 years and older

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4tford, May 27, 2008.

1. 4tford

4tford

I got an email from my congressman about a proposed bill to reduce oil usage and part of it was to get rid of cars 15 years and older for more efficeint cars anybody else here this one. I know politics is not suppose to be on this board but this affects what we are doing here.

2. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I don't think that they can sieze your old car. However, they can probably do what they did in Texas and give incentives on trade ins. They were offering something like $3k for pre-98 vehicles that were registered and insured.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Someone is blowing smoke up your ass. The mileage on a HUMMER is worse than my old F-150, and my 53 gets nearly the same as a 4 banger s10.

4. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

and they would have to pry the keys out of my cold dead hands!

5. DrJ

DrJ

You think they can't do it?
    Wait till you don't get to register it for annual tags the next year if it passes.

And, I bet the car manufacturers are behind that one 100%

6. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

there are always gonna be a bunch off ass kissing assholes (sorry they kiss babys too) trying to get the vote WTF they dont do anything for ya cant do anything for ya and if ya believe them santa is bringing ya something. this only affects people who dont know any better. any HAMBER knows this aint him. If it worries ya take it up locally and defeat it any way who needs some old 1993 rice rockets anyways
    2 cents worth

Ken

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Forward that email to SEMA.

8. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Maybe if we all put the Hydrogen thingy's in our rod's they'll let us keep them.

9. NOTCH

NOTCH

Thats some bullshit ass law that there going to pass and you will not be able to regester an old car for the fist time.. Its going to happen if we dont do sometin about it...we need more info!

10. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Its a dud. Scare tactic. To blatant to be real. The government likes to lube up real good so you don't feel it when they stick it in.

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Lame. The energy expended to build a new car is more than would be saved by removing the old car from the streets.
    AND my wife's Mini Cooper S (supposedly high MPG car) gets a WHOPPING six whole miles per gallon more than my 68 year old car with a 383 in it. Whoop-d-doo, that's real progress all right.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

don't waste your time worrying about something thats not going to happen...

13. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

Post the text of the email so that we can put this into context. I don't see how they can sieze private property, nor do I see how they can force people in lower socio-economic brackets to forfeit their current vehicles for modern vehicles that they cannot afford. I may be wrong, but I am willing to bet it is some kind of incentive package on trade ins.

John

14. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Its part of the GreenCar congress BS..... Tons of news about it but with no bottom lined Black and white...

Attached Files:

15. 4tford

4tford

You are right about it being a proposed tax credit to turn in a car older than 15 years old. We need to let our reps know not to include what we have here or any other classic car or nail us with rediculous registration cost or gas gussler tax because of age.

16. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I agree... they can't take away anyones car. But they can make it un-affordable to use them.

"Crusher" laws and other legislation designed to remove old cars (running or not) tend to fail because, in my opinion anyway, it's too complicated a legal issue to confiscate personal property. But they can introduce taxes levied at registration time, based on any criteria they want; year of manufacture, vehicle weight, engine size, etc, etc. (As an example, cars 10 to 15 years old pay an annual "fee" of 25.00, 15 to 20 years pay 50.00). They can also introduce mandatory smog testing on older cars (already happening).
    In this way, it could easily become so financially oppressive to register, insure, and gas up our older cars that we simply can't afford to keep them on the road.
    We can all expect to see a lot of pressure within the next few years to remove old cars from the picture and it won't surprise me to see it come from that direction.

Without effective lobbying efforts from groups like SEMA we are at risk for serious problems in the coming years.

My FH model A sedan gets as much as 18 MPG. on the road.

17. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

DO NOT think that this cannot happen.
    In Japan, for example, the cost of license plates goes UP each year...
    to the point where you cannot afford the plates. Good running cars go to scrap for that reason, and there is a big business exporting those used engines here and elsewhere.

Don't think for a minute that some asshat in office here won't try this. We need to be aware and stop this crap in its tracks.
    I suggest forwarding that information to SEMA so they can target this asshat and explain things to him.

Glenn

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

And who hires more lobbyists and contributes more to political campaigns- you or GM?

19. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

This is nothing new, every few years some blow hard brings this up. by blow hard I'm talking about the congressman not you.

20. 4tford

4tford

I forwarded my concern to SEMA and hope to get their input on it. I did not see any info on it on their site. I felt with the gas prices what they are it would be a matter of time for taking a shot at our hobby but not much else right now. I don't think the people in DC realize the passion we have for our cars.

21. It would make a lot more sense to do something along those lines with cars between 15 yrs old and 30 yrs(1978 to 1993?). Those are usually tha cars that are just limping along. Cars OLDER than that are usually well taken care of and should not be considered part of the problem.

22. To paraphrase Barry Goldwater, extremism in the defense of our hobby is no vice.

Keeping vigilant on bills like this is always important. The current crop of do-gooder professional representatives think nothing of you (us) and your hobby. The automobile is the perpetual scapegoat for all things evil in the environmentalist/globalist world. By denying your right to own property or limiting your ability to own certain types of property they will control you, for the betterment of the whole world you understand.

Meanwhile other forms of transportation that use huge amounts of natural resources get a pass, think air travel.

At the same time though it is our responsibility to maintain and conserve. Using less to do more is always beneficial for everyone.

23. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

The Person to contact at SEMA is
    Jason Tolleson, [email protected]
    and he will get the word out

not the first time this has happened
    for further info on this subject check out
    http://www.thehotrodhaulers.com/

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here in Wa State we have had two bills knocked down this year that would place a license fee premium on vehicles based on fuel milage.

On the 15 year thing. My wifes daily driver is a 17 year old that gets 29 on the freeway so that concept doesn't hold up in reality.

As ElPolaco mentioned above we can't keep our heads in the sand and say it won't happen because some of these lawmakers have some real screwballs pulling their chains.

Just think of how many people think an "old" car is one that is over 3 years old.

As for a lot of us, the price of gas will keep the big old cruisers and gas eating multi carb rigs in the garage except for special occasions.

It never fails to burn my butt when these people buy into the thinking that the cure all for the aliments is getting rid of older cars though.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

we dont need to get rid of the old cars...we need to get rid of the old politicians and the old congress..that would really help out this country a bunch..sorry if too political..but these types of threads bring this sort of reaction out you know.
    If we would spend half the time we do fighting each one of these little battles, on fighting to get term limits on the members of congress and all the other bastards who have life terms as rule makers we would all be much better off.
    rant over
    im going to go and put some dinosaur blood in my chevy and go for a cruze

26. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Vehicle registration is controlled by the states not the federal government. The Feds only control motor vehicles through regulations to the manufactures or by offering states money or people tax discounts. I love how people will always blow things up to sound like the end of the world. Yes gas is high. Yes scrape steel is high. Yes the government may give incentives to buy more efficient cars, but the auto hobby industry is a multi billion dollar industry. No one is going to be killing it off any time soon.

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

that's what i thought about the proposed smoking ban in Chicago. Well, now you can't smoke in any bar, restaurant, or public place in the whole state of Illinois!

28. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

post up the email address from the congressmen and lets all send him a reminder of who he works for.....

29. Welcome to the People's Republic Of America. They had close to this in California for a long time, they let companies buy old cars and scrap them rather than clean up their pollutiing plants making whatever, on the theory that by taking X number of cars off the road, they were reducing pollution by the same amount as cleaning their plant up. So it's definately possible they'd try this crap here - and the uninformed and the real wacko idiots out there would trot right along in support of it.

30. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

hmmm...control.......does anyone else smell communism?