Register now to get rid of these ads!

Enderle injector help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Just throwing this out there (and NOT suggesting that you toss all the work you've done to get it this far). I have a 480 BBC with a 3" Crower stack in my supermodified. It runs great with a -1/2 pump. I'm (simply) wondering if the -1 is really "too much" pump for the application, which is putting you into a window of bypassing a LOT of fuel. When those poppets open to those big jets, I could see the potential for a big dip in fuel pressure. That combined with the overly large nozzles (mine are 35s as well, IIRC) might make it tough to get the car consistent.

The transbrake will obviously mask some of this, and you're not running the same wide range of rpm I am. I agree you should definitely get it flowed as a unit.

2. Oj, I have a question regarding the secondary bypass. Is it true that it only comes into play during the first 1/3 of the throttle? Basically to save the from dead heading when you pull your foot out of the throttle? At full throttle, is this bypass closed? I ask because I could be wrong in thinking that way, and also because this unit didn't come with a secondary bypass, it was plugged off. We did install a new one, but I'm not sure off hand which spring he put in it.

Exwestracer, you're right about the pump being too large. Going into it we were given mixed answers on whether or not we should run a pump so big, and in our minds at the time it seemed like a good idea. All it should need is a -1/2. What I don't know is if it's screwing us or not, as it's only made 2 passes so far! The 8.25 is encouraging, it probably won't go much quicker. We will make some more adjustments, drop nozzle size and see where we're at. The lack of fuel pressure is a problem, so that's high on the list of things to fix.

Thanks guys

3. You might look into what's called a "super-0" (super-ought) pump. Very popular with the 410 and 430 oval track guys...

I originally set my supermod engine up with a Birdcatcher on a tunnel, but with the engine laid over 30 degrees, the throttle linkage was the furthest thing outboard on the engine. Didn't seem like such a good idea to have somebody's tire rubbing against that!

Best of luck with it.

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

When the BV rolls open the secondary "CLOSES" .When this style of BV is used in blown aps Idle fuel pressure is a balence between the Idle slot in the spool and the secondary port opening in the BV to the port in the secondary circut in the housing. Rotate the spool and the port closes and then another circut opens and that directs the excess fuel around that port to the main jet circut which then goes thru the secondary poppet back to the tank. Close the BV and the excess fuel bypasses the main circut and goes directly thru the seconary port opening back to the tank.

With running without a blower but with the same BV there is no secondary bypass as all that poppet (17-25#) does is act as a pump saver as it only functions when the BV is closed. The poppet under the main jet holder only has enough spring pressure to hold fuel while the system is filling up with fuel during start up.

Its just me but I prefer to run Enderle BV for blown (anybodys injector) and a Hilborn BV for non-blown,They just seem to work better coming from all the sprint car injectors the produce and I have never seen an Enderle BV on a sprint car.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

But there are no poppets in this system opening under throttle, its a direct shot from the BV to the distribution block and the main bleed tied into that line going back to the tank with the only restiction(poppet) is set at 2# and you get that pressure with just the starter.

I like the fuel pump size 80a-1 as its a 6.5gal pump, yes the systen can use a 80-0 (3.5)but I wuld rather bleed off excess fuel with a bigger main, thus when a the pump settles in or gets a little weak I can reduce the jet to compinsate because I know the volume is there. This crutch allows me to send the pump out to be freshened up when I can. If a smaller pump starts getting "OFF" you must send it back in because of the fuel volume lost.

6. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

He's correct the inlet to the BV from the pump should be no smaller than an 8.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I had made that statement before he informed the thread that this was a tunnel ram injection and not blown. -6 is fine for this.

On my blown dragster I run -8 to the BV and -6 to the Distribution block

8. Gotcha. I'm used to pulling fuel out of it as the rpm gets further above peak torque (hi-speed). Had to wrap my head around just 1 bypass being open all the time. Still, it seems like if it is bypassing that much fuel ALL the time, he could for sure get by with less pump. Good point about being able to compensate for the pump getting a little weak though. I haven't known too many guys (circle track) that have run into that problem, but I guess it happens.

9. oj

oj

11. So after running the car for a few weeks, here's what we've found. The majority of the runs have been 1/8th, some quarter mile stuff. We started at 35 nozzles, and the pressure was shit. Right now I don't remember what it was, but somewhere around 40. Switched to 34, no real great improvement. No change in et either. So fri we went to 31's and made a pass. Exhaust temp seemed a bit low, so leaned it up a little. Right now it hits about 65psi, has an exhaust temp of 1200, and runs incredibly consistent. The return pill is 130. I know it's not going to 100 psi, but it is running damn good and super consistent.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Lucky3

Lucky3

Same with us drag race guys ! The Super 0 or the 0-1/2 is plenty big of a pump and requires no HS bypass. 413 sbc, #28 down nozzles, 110 - 120 return pill, Run @ 28-32% LO at the BV. Makes 803 hp and runs fantastic. I've run this setup for 15+ yrs. Depending on return pill, makes 97-105 psi fuel pressure @ WFO ! I have a data recorder and read fuel press & AFR @ 5.7 - 6.1 stoich. AIr Density in my area is from <1,000 ft to >4,500 ft which is a wild swing !
    Fat is happy !

General observation over the last 20 yrs is that most attempt to run very big pumps and struggle getting it sorted out......see these giants pumps everywhere........good luck and hope you get this sorted out.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013