Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Enderle Hat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old TFFdriver, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

I am starting a build that has been along time coming. I searched around trying to find out when Enderle's most well known hat style ... bug, bird, buzzard .. appeared ? Anyone ?

Thanks in advanced !

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Garlits had an Enderle showerhead when he went 200 in 1964...
    [​IMG]
    Not convinced this photo is the actual 200 mph pass, looks like Goodyears, I didnt think he had them for the 200 MPH pass.
    [​IMG]

Old TFFdriver likes this.
  3. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

That is exactly what I was looking for. I tried a internet search for some sort of intro date and no luck. Just me I guess. I would think there are distinctive differences between old and new. Anyone know what to look for in a early 60's hat ?

4. Here is a pretty good look at a vintage hat. 100_5449.jpg

Old TFFdriver and falcongeorge like this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The top one is earlier than the bottom one, but not as early as '64, like the two showerhead style hats Mikey and I posted above, dont know how picky he wants to get.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You noticed I did not say earliest and latest.
    I use to have an early style without shower nozzles, I believe they are the same physical size.

20160316_193533.jpg

8. I would think the early shower head may be hard to find, and go for BIG COIN. If that is what he is looking for.:D

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You could possibly drill and tap the hat you posted and add the nozzle bars?

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I'm sure Ivo had a "Shower head" on the "Barnstormer" in '63 when I saw it run. In Tommy's gallery of pics, it shows the car in '62 with a "Barn door". My Brother bought this SBC with a "Shower head", right out of the dragster, in '71 for $950 bucks, he installed a plate with 4 nozzles, and ran it on alky. lh20.jpg

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^what a cool picture that is Marty!! Whos car was that?

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ivos car with a shower head on it during Bikini Beach filming, early '64?? Frantic Four had one on the Airline Auto sales car around this time too.
    62.jpg

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I hope they invent time travel before I die...:(

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I should clarify here, the only Enderle hat that is correct for '64 would be what we are refering to as the "showerhead" its easy to spot by the two fuel fittings that go into the side of the hat itself, clearly visible in the photo I posted with Garlits on Buster Couches shoulders, and the photo from Modern Rod that Mike posted.
    I have been looking for a good shot of the underside without luck so far, there are two "spray bars" inside the hat that those fittings connect to. The fins dont mean squat really, you can see the hat on Garlits car has no fins, the photo Mike posted has them. FWIW, Pretty sure Don Gay had one on his GTO in '65, I will see if I can find a pic of that tomorrow, as well as one of the underside of the hat, so you can see the business end.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres Airline Auto Sales, but this is probably a couple months later than the Bikini Beach photo...
    FranticFourNormWeekleyInTheCockpit.jpg

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Went through all the photos on my computer, the earliest showerhead photo I have on here is the Bikini Beach photo.

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

Right behind Ivo's behind (post #12) is another old Enderle that pre-dates the showerhead, I believe. I always liked that big square bladed Enderle "barn door" ?
    Ewell, Stecker and Kamboor ran a barn door in '62-63, and the Frantic four had one around '63. I think the barn doors were out in '60-61. But then I guess the OP is only interested in the "Bug catcher" style.

19. As the history goes , and what a lot of us have been told, the barn doors did not work very well, and most of them were replaced with something else, better. The barn door was not well liked by most fuel guys.

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. oj

oj

Call Enderle, they have tons of old parts in inventory. Jim has restored old sets of injectors back to the original finish and fittings for me, wouldn't surprise me that they'd have an old casting or two tucked away.

Old TFFdriver and falcongeorge like this.
  21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The first bugs did not have fins and were prone to cracking, so the fins were added to the casting pattern. The shower head was limited in fuel delivery and tuning ability, OK for the time, but they removed the internal nozzles and started to use a nozzle plate with 8 injectors. It became time soon after to revamp the pattern any a thicker base was added, the side bosses were removed and internal ribs were also added. That style was used for many years after the last change. Racers then started trimming the fins and lips off for different look and then enderle started doing it in production. When nostalgia became big, they re-introduced the fins. To tell the diff between the old and new is the face of the new where the blades are is flat and the old is blended in with a radius. I know the where abouts of a first run mag hat only if anyone is interested but $$$$$$$$

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It belonged to my old buddy Lloyd Hamilton, here is the same injector on his previous car in '64. the bad thing was he ran gasoline, and the Enderle Shower head was the wrong choice. MARTY 6.jpg MARTY 8.jpg

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Figured I would add thiscover of january hot rod, so it looks like Marty is correct, the hat was on there in late '63.
    [​IMG]
    Theres also a photo of this car in bare metal in TRJ, dated Oct' 62, but I am SURE thats an editing error, all the Ivo photos I see from early-mid '63 show this cars predecessor, I think the hat was probably on this car from day one, and the bare metal photo should be dated Oct' 63. Maybe Marty or DREracecars can comment on this? Any way you slice it, the showerhead is fine on a '64 dated car.
    DRE, when did they start using the bottom nozzles? Around '66ish?

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Marty, funny, I was just going to say, when I was looking at photos, I didnt see any gas cars with showerheads!

25. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

WOW ! Thanks for all the replies ! You guys rock !

I was busy purchasing the intake I need. Without that this build was dead in the water. Now that is out of way this is the plan.

I have owned my goat since I was 14. The car has been so heavy modified over the years that there is no point restoring it plus I love horsepower and drag racing. I want to keep it period correct but use stuff I am familiar with.
    So when did the K barrel valve appear ? I want to run me methanol/alky because that is what I have the most tuning experience with when running a blown motor.

What fuel pumps were they running then ?

Thanks to all I really appreciate the help accomplishing this dream I have had since I was 14 !

mad mikey likes this.
  26. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Port nozzles in 64 ?

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

George, The race I attended June 8 & 9, 1963, at Puyallup,Wa. Ivo had a Bugcatcher on the car.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There were some guys that swore by them though. Somewhere I have a pic of one on Van Luvens car in 1969, and Keeling Clayton & Ramsey ran one into the seventies.

29. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

I would like to have a mag case blower and hat. Yes I know big$$ that is why I said like too. I have 2 birds and 1 bug all modern if anyone wants to trade for a period correct one mag or not.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Was it this car, or the earlier car without the chuteback body? Heres the photo from TRJ, the caption says that it was taken at San Gabe, Oct. '62, could it really be that early??
    63.jpg