Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods End of an Era (The Patina Eradication Project)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Django, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Lookin' good! As much as I love old paint I can understand getting to a point where you are over it and just want to make it look like new again.

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I also just took out the carved wooden skull shift knob and went with a '37 dark brown V8 shift knob.

3. While I have many cool shift knobs, I find myself installing a simple black ball knob in every car after a while. KISS

4. Goodguys Kansas City

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Patina suits certain cars. A '35 or '36 isn't one of them. Looks fantastic Chad!

6. tjm73

tjm73

I didn't realize how much I like '36 Fords till just now! WOW! Nice car.

7. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great car with just the right look. Love those 35/36's.

8. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

This car is bad ass!!!

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great car with some fine family history, the blackwalls look just fine!

10. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I see no blasphemy in whats been done, only very thoughtfully applied TLC; and done as a multi-generational family effort with respect for one another's sensibilities! Bitchen car, ...whether before or after, Good for you!!! The only thing I'd suggest never be done to this car is, never let it out of the family!

11. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Looks great! glad it came back around.... I missed it the first time.

12. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Looks great. Patina is slang for too lazy to paint.

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It sure looked good on TV just now . Great job on the show and the GTO
    Are them the Keystones you got from me on the black coupe ?

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Thanks! No, I haven't put those on yet. I should though. The original set won't stay shiny for more than 2 weeks.

We had a storm, and somehow a broom fell on top of my driver's front fender and put a nice little dent in it. Son of bitch! :mad:

15. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks good to me, at least the patina was real on the car I'm tired of the fake patina. I caught grief from some friends years ago when I did a quick build on a Model A pickup and painted it instead of using primer, 10 years later it is still a daily driver.

16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

cool, looks awesome. Having a car passed on by my Dad I understand how you want to keep certain aspects of the car the same but, allow it to progress to his and your vision of what it could be...I love it...make sure your son does not want to make it a police car. when mine were little that's what they were going to do to mine.

17. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

18. 1oldrat

1oldrat

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Dad and I buffed the old paint to better blend it with the new. It looks pretty good. So I took these new pics at a pin up photo shoot with my car last night. Sorry, I am not allowed to share the girlie pics! :( But they were quite nice. :D

Also, my dent in the front fender was successfully removed by my friend Duane! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

So that's the OLD paint on the body? Damn... I though you painted the whole thing. The pics I saw on Facebook on my phone it was hard to tell. :)

Looks awesome!

21. jipp

jipp

looks good. i thought you put a dent in a different car.. man if the broom put a dent in that old girl.. imagine what it would of did with a newer one. laughs.. total!! but i was sad when no girlys to go with the 5 window.. pout. laughs.. looks good.
    chris.

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Looks good! Sits good....bitchin'.

23. There is not a Patina car on the planet that doesn't look better with fresh paint.

24. thishero

thishero

Patina looks good, fresh paint looks good, the car and the memories is what makes it. There's plenty of patina cars out there, so enjoy the new and old memories.

25. Looks fantastic, even with the blackwalls

26. michev

michev

Your car really looks nice.

27. It looks super....I'd drive it with a smile on my face.

However, if I'd inherited the 34 in my avatar, from my grandfather, and it had good looking patina on in that he put on the car from using it over many years....waterboarding wouldn't be enough to make me paint it.

Good looking wear (the word "patina" is over-used) on a well-cared for car shows how the car was used, and is beautiful in my humble opinion. It's the same as the wear on a leather jacket or an antique table. My 66 F100 is a rust-free truck with seriously nice original paint, but there are some places where you can see where the original owner leaned over the bed to get things or talk to someone else who was leaning on the other side of the bed. There's no way I would ever remove that or cover it up.

On the other hand, paint that is almost gone, cancer, huge scratches, etc never look good on a car just like a huge scrape on a Shaker table wouldn't look good either.

So yeah....I think you took a step in the wrong direction, but let's keep that in perspective.....you went from a "10" in my book to a "9.98" :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  28. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

WOW!!! I never thought I'd see you paint that car but you did, and it looks amazing!!! I like that you left a couple parts to remind you of your dad and you didn't paint the whole car. In 40 some odd years your son will probably fight with you and his kids about what to change and what not to change. That's a great car and I'm glad the legacy will continue on for a long time down the road.

29. josh77

josh77

Love it, the car and the history......:cool:

30. brady1929

brady1929