Register now to get rid of these ads!

EMS sheetmetal repair panel quality?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50chevy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I put one of these QP's in, at the time I was not aware of the excellent customer service has exhibited here on the HAMB so I kind of "struggled through" the installation. I ended up doing close to what has been recommended above.

Additionally, this part of my car was wrecked long ago, so I was not sure of what was a fit issue with the patch and what was a fit issue because of this prior damage.

Anyway, other than my floor board, this was one of the first pieces of sheet metal I had worked with. Anyway, I learned a lot doing this patch and since.

[​IMG]

I think you guys might want to put an insert of sorts into the box with these quarters, (much like your above explanation) so that inexperienced folks will know what the issue is and not jump to conclusions or improper "repair theory".

Yea, I should have called you guys, but I am the kind who will walk around Wal Mart for 45 minutes before breaking down and asking an employee where to find an item. (yea I know it is dumb, but insanity works that way... :D )

In the end, after gaining some experience and confidence, my son and I made some more fixes to this side to take car of more of the wreck damage, we ended up getting the quarter looking ok, not "metal finish good", but good enough for me.

If I had it to do over again, I would for sure do it different and I think better, but it will be more than sufficient to do the job.

I might use one of these quarters again, but in all reality, since this part is not really complicated, and I have more and better tools and abilities, I would likely make my own.

Was it worth the $? All in all, the QP gave me a starting point when I really had no idea of where to start otherwise. (I was largely ignorant of the HAMB at the time), so for me, at the time it was worth the price, and might still be a good starting point for this repair.
    [​IMG]

I HAVE to admire the fact that EMS is on this forum meeting their customers expectations and complaints head on and in PUBLIC. this takes confidence and balls. I also greatly admire that these parts are made here in the USA, in todays economy this takes balls as well.

I have bought other EMS parts including a rear trunk pan "tool box" the fit on this piece was excellent IMO. This pan is probably not a part I would try to make on my own.... No doubt worth the $$.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used outer rockers, rear quarters and one lower cowl panel for a '40 Chev coupe. I'm guessing they're using kirksite tooling (soft), my panels were definitely not the first ones struck from those dies. The details are not as crisp as the original panels, and they will take some massaging to get 'em to fit. The metal gauge is heavier than original, which can be an issue if you're hammer welding butt joints. All that said, I think they are worth the money because they're 90% there, and a little massaging to fit them takes much less time than starting from scratch.

Edit: The '40 Chev is a one- year car (parts won't fit a '39 or '41), so to tool up to make panels for them takes commitment. Maybe higher volume, multi-year parts are made on hard tooling and are therefore more crisp?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. historynw

historynw

We put one on my 47 its a bit of work since its called a "street rod" pan. It is shaped some what different from the original. My body guy did a 39 Chevy and had to rebuild its entire back end. We think we came up with a way to over come the shape by installing the bumper brackets like the 39 and then scribing the bumper splash pan to fit the new shape. We had to put in the trunk edge (tool pan) also. I wished EMS had made the stock pan but I guess the demand is for the smoothe look. I found a NOS trunk edge and several other pieces. The rocker and door bottoms worked fine. I'm still trying to figure out the door scraper extensions, it looks like they need some adjustment. That my NOS fender in original primer on the left, we replaced the entire wheelhouse, rocker and door on that side of the car. Its hard to tell from the pictures but the trunk gaps are perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you can see the bottom edge from the new pan, the rear trunk edge
    panel which coveres what was a tool pan was removed and replaced
    with a new edge. The pole is resting in the old hole where the lock
    hook ended. We are just going to cut the same type holes a 39 Chevy
    would have with the rubber trim. I really want the bumper back on the
    car. He had to recut and section the tail lamp housing to get the stock
    position.

4. It's good to see EMS people addressing some issues and trying to help out. I know we all would like replacement pieces to just Fit right out of the box. We will most likely never get that no matter what. So my fellow HAMB'ers know I'm not just making negative Static and to inform any potential 57 Ford customers here is my Personal experiance. Remember, we all have different levels of expectations. Photo 1 is from E.M.S. directly and shows the revieal line clearly. #2 shows there part as I recieved it, No revieal at all. #3 is there outer piece and inner repair part together. The 2 edges that should weld together arn't even close to fitting to each other or to stock lines. That is also the door edge and rocker joint. The next 2 photos show how important the revieal is. It ends at the bottom corner where the door and rocker meet and a Concave and a Convex curve come together. The patch piece was just one big arc. The last photo is of the Car painted so obviously I made them work on both sides. So you know EMS did see these photos as the work was being done. Now if they are as concerned as it looks, the next customer of these pieces should be informed of the work they have in front of them. The right thing to do in my eyes is to pull the patch until it's corrected and more accuratly resembles the lower corner of a 57 Ford fender. Should EMS decide to re-make the part I'd be happy to do another pair of my personal Fenders with there pieces. Until then I consider it a $156.oo lesson. Hardly enough to brake the Bank but I would have enjoyed spending it on Dinner and a movie instead.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

Called them when I fist saw thier ad and inquired about panels for a 32 three window. Recieved a very sarcastic reply about "not enough demand for that crap" would not care to call them again.

6. I've used a few of their parts and have only one complaint. PLEASE stop rolling step flanges in your parts! I realize that some people may want to overlap a patch, but for those of us that know what we're doing it's more trimming, and sometimes makes the patch too short.
    Even if for some reason I wanted to lap the joint, the flange should be made on the car, not the patch.

7. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

First off... This post is 3 years old.

Second, on that panel, there were identical bends on both ends, I don't think it was shipping damage, I think it was just not quite right.

It really wasn't a big deal, but it pertained to the original poster's question, so I brought it up.

8. I've used EMS PANELS ON MY 36 ROADSTER AND JUST SPENT ANOTHER WACK OF MONEY ON SOME FOR MY 36 3-WINDOW. THE 35-6 PANELS ALL FIT NICELY AND ARE WELL MADE FOR THESE CARS.I GIVE THEM A THUMBS UP FOR SURE. LIVING IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH THEY WERE FAST GETTING THEM HERE AS WELL..........I AM
    IMPRESSED..... TIME-BOMB JOHN

9. chevy3755

chevy3755

used ther panel for the rear of my 37 chevy.....worked fine for me....i would recommend them.....Larry

10. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Okay, 2 questions...

Does EMS have a website?

Deos EMS have parts for 50's cadillac's?

Thanks
    Charles

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

website emsautomotive.com cadillacs no

Does EMS have a website?

Deos EMS have parts for 50's cadillac's?

Thanks
    Charles[/QUOTE]

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

we would like to hear more comments, on our customer service and products,

photo's are great to, during and after install ,

we do look at them all, and put them in the product file for reference.

we will adjust products to comments when possable and if economically viable.

13. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i would like to see the front rear wheel well quarters for 53-54 chevys

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

do you mean this????

Attached Files:

15. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

yeah,i wasn't aware that they were available....great

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

57Joe just picked up a set of '57 Ford lower front fenders. After seeing Pist-N-Broke's posts I see what he means about the lack of body line and incorrect crown. Joe told me they are close, but will definitely need working. We'll see how it goes.