Register now to get rid of these ads!

empty gas tank storage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeillac, Mar 1, 2010.

1. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

hey fellas, gotta question hopefully someone could help me with. I couldnt find any information in my search on the hamb. I took the gas tank out of my 52 'baker. Im needin to weld a new pan and change the body mounts in the rear. anyways i was curious on what to do with my mostly empty gas tank now. its got some of that stinky gas jelly in the bottom? How do i get that crap out because i might be using the tank because there arent many pinholes but i need to clean it out. Also i wont be able to do anything until next weekend so its sitting under my front porch, out in the open. So this is my real question gone by the round about ... So can i leave it under the porch for a week without anything bad happening? Thanks fellas!

2. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

YOu can leave it for months without any thinkg happening. Make sure the caps on so no water can get into it....

3. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

thanks gasserdave...

4. You want to dump the old smelly gas out. Before you use it again, have it boiled out at a radiator shop. At that point, you will see how bad the pinholes are, and if its even useable.

I usually take them out to the back 40, I don't want to smell that stink from the old gas..Under the front porch..hmmm..not my first choice.

If you do stash it for a while, cover it up. I've had a few tanks that had bees move into them.

I'm dealing with one now...

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I usually empty them as well as i can.
    than i take some diesel fuel and ATF about a cup of each and slosh it around in the tank. Or any oil (this keeps the inside from rusting up while it sits) than i plug up all the holes, filler neck, sending unit etc.. and store it someplace dry

6. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

yea the front porch was the most convienient at the moment...the gag reflex was kicking pretty hard and i had to get it out of the garage at that exact moment...then i realized my gloves were damp...and the garage started to stink bad....

thanks for the info guys...all the holes are plugged up now...so this weekend i will make you guys proud...