Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emotional...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Dec 10, 2013.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

2. Man!:eek:,,thanks Larry,that is a amazing car. HRP

3. Holy!!! That was amazing

4. seatex

seatex

Wow, beautiful car, but I kept waiting for her to roar to life. MORE!

5. Great video- thanks for the link Larry!

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Oh Italians...they know how to make movies.....and cars. To all those who chime in when guys are talking about patina...and say that it should be painted over...would you do that to this car? Doubt it...its as awesome as they come...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

neat car, I would rather have seen a bunch of clear photos than the artsy craftsy video.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, great stuff. It never ceases to amaze me that some guys cant see the connection between cars like this and early hot rods.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

I get where you're coming from, but I'd like to see this car in ALL her glory. Not a worn relic of times and races past. Looking worn doesn't add to her beauty at all. In fact, it's actually sad. The Mona Lisa gets touched up to keep her looking gorgeous. I doubt millions would flock to see a worn painting with sections missing. This car and many like her should be maintained and cared for lovingly. Patina is a hipster phrase for neglect. It's only cool, when you don't have the time or money to do what's right. IMHO. But, she's not mine, so all I can do is watch the video, Google her amazing history and dream a little.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Maybe it's just a happy coincidence. But during the closing credits the guy sweeping the leaves stops to slightly move the hood. By doing so the left side edge of the scrolling credits lines up perfectly with the back edge of the hood. :cool:

Yeah. It's probably just a coincidence. ;)

Thanks for the link. :D

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Unlike today, where a lot of hot rodders try to distance themselves from their sports car roots, the early rodders saw these cars and went straight to the salvage yard and tried to make one like it.

A lot of guys are trying so hard to relive the "old days", they've over looked the source of original inspiration.

12. Thanks Larry.
    Later,
    Dick

13. metal man

metal man

That car is awesome. I could not agree more that it should be lovingly and correctly restored to it's original racing glory...and then raced some more at vintage meets. Beautiful.

14. deuce354

deuce354

That is a cool ass valuable car. Is that the car the picker guys tried to buy when they were in Italy?

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Tfeverfred....I guess we will never agree....shiny cars are common and boring to me. If im ever at a car show or cruise in....all you see is shiny stuff. Sometimes crowds form around a car...and more often then not its an original worn paint...patinated car. Why? Its authenticity is evident...its a direct link to a different time..that same paint and upholstery and chrome existed decades ago. It makes nostalgia real.....a time machine if you will. You imagine how a scuff on a fender happened.....how a guys arm wears the paint on the top of the door sill...look at the Cistalia...the scratches around the hood strap clip...all the little things that make a car REAL to those who love patina...it also makes your imagination run wild on who discovered the car....its almost like you are discovering it for the first time. Dont get me wrong...I like shiny...but all the above is lost in the process of a restoration.. My personal definition of patina does not include cleared over rust.. however I understand that too.....cars age in socal in a most beautiful fashion....patina is geographically sensitive...in other places in the US...cars rust faster....so those guys see their cars in the same light I do.... adjusted to their surroundings..

16. i agree...... but i would replace the broom with one that works

17. chromeazone

chromeazone

HEAVY THREAD !
    DIG THE OPINIONS, REBUTTALS AND COURTEOUS PHILOSOPHICAL EXPLANATIONS, REALLY!
    Almost everybody likes to peek in a barn.....
    I can't remember the last time I had a car painted - I change my mind on a color everyday, so when someone asks "What color are you going to paint it?" I can say what comes to mind at the moment, and not be wrong.

18. Thanks Larry!
    You made my day!
    I like this "artsy craftsy" video showing this "worn relic of time and races past".
    To restore this car would be a shame...

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Hilarious! Another reason why I love this place...being serious all the time is boring too..

20. skinnydude

skinnydude

WOW !!!!!! what a ride ,a truly unique piece .

21. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Thanks for sharing/posting the link Larry -

The car is a survivor and as Tfeverfred said I would prefer a beautiful shiny(restored if you wish) car but after reading your statement above some cars do deserve to be preserved. Like when you mentioned "the scratches around the hood strap clip...all the little things that make a car REAL to those who love patina" it hit me.

Black Panther that was very well wrote. Thanks

22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very Kool! Thanks! John

23. Lets just agree to disagree,opinions are just that...:rolleyes:

i don't know how many of these cars survive but from what I have read there were 202 at the start of the 1947 season.

[​IMG]

I can appreciate this car for exactly what it is.....a relic of a glorious past.

Whoever owns this beauty has for one reason or another decided to retain the battle scared warriors unrestored look from it's glory years.

To me restoring this car would be tatanomunt to adding arms to Venus de Milo.:D HRP

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me restoring this car would be tatanomunt to adding arms to Venus de Milo. HRP

Spoken with true eloguence.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Gorgeous car that has LIVED. I cannot understand why anyone would want to destroy it's earned condition. Looks like there are others out there that were already restored. Who needs another?

26. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I dig the simplistic hood latch design.

27. I've enjoyed reading views from both sides of the patina argument, they are both well thought out and presented and it is hard to disagree with either. In the case of this car one must remember that the "patina" is from use, not neglect. My personal opinion of faded, rusty, cleared over cars, is that it is just an excuse for someone to leave his/her car unfinished, so no one can nitpick his abilities.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Now see! I thought that crusty, useless broom was cool!:D

29. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

awesome!!!!!! thanks larry,,,,,,,, you guys kill me

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

Attached Files: