Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emissions Laws for Hot Rods???????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stude350guy, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Saw this on Hemmings website, hope they excuse me for posting it here:

Legislation
    California Law Addresses Hot Rod/Kit Car Emissions
    California long led the nation in smog, so it’s no wonder they've long led in efforts to reduce it, as well. Now, in addition to publishing the CARB (California Air Resources Board) standard that drive nationwide emissions standards in new cars, California has standardized its exhaust requirements for kit cars and street rods as well.
    The complicated statute essentially states that every vehicle must be assigned a year, and meet the smog requirements for that year. If your 1968 Camaro is powered by a 1998 LS2 engine, then it must use all the emissions control equipment that came on a 1998 LS2. As we read the statute, we think that the owner can then register the vehicle as either the year of the engine, or the year the body most resembles.
    California issues a maximum of only 500 registrations a year for "specially constructed vehicles," and the new standardized regulations are actually designed to encourage car builders to apply for them. Thankfully, a builder has to go through this process only once, and is then exempt from any further smog checks...at least until California state legislators write another piece of legislation. For more information, visit www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm
    - By David B. Traver Adolphus

Sure makes that old flathead look good!!!!

2. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Yeah, I don't like to see threads like this turn into fire storms........I like to read it and it's good to know what's happening......

thanks!

3. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I guess it makes me worried about what comes next....but it also makes me feel good that they can't touch me with my '59 cadillac engines....

4. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Did my flathead just go up in value?;)

I remember hearing that polution went up on the weekends becaue of all the mowers, trimmers, grills, etc.

How soon will they try to "clean up" the local BBQ?

5. Don't mean to start any firestorms. So many of the contemporary street rodders are so hot on late EFI engines for their rides (ie: newest Street Rodder mag headlines EFI on the cover) that I thought it was interesting that the old engines that most of us love don't seem to be in this problematic category, more like GEN III engines in Speedstar roadsters.
    Thanks.

6. ha ha............. so far here in california (enhanced regions) the cut off for smogging is 1975. so if you have a motor eariler then that your ok, so when i get a 327 it will be ok.....beside are they going to de-code your motor to check the year for smog. they keep trying to screw with "old" cars but it's going to take alot more to discourage me then that.

7. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

AND NOW, JUST IN TIME FOR WINTER, IN AREAS OF THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY, YOU CANNOT BURN WOOD IN YOUR FIREPLACE

I love my state......