Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emergency room charge O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re49, Nov 28, 2005.

1. flathead okie

flathead okie

Get the metal out with a magnet. You can do it yourself if you have to, but it's better to have someone else do it. If all else fails try and wash it out with a low pressure water hose or a small paper cup full of water.I've also taken stuff outta my eye with a Q-tip

2. That happened to me too with Dylan. He decided he wanted to swing between me and momma while we were walking to the grocery store. His elbow popped out and we couldn't figure it out so off to the doctor we went. Took the doctor 2 seconds to figure it out and fix it and Dylan acted like nothing ever happened. That's when we learned about Nursemaid's Elbow. Doctor showed me how and sure enough it happened again a year later and I got his elbow back in. This happens with kids up to about the age of 6. We NEVER swing or hang him by his arms anymore and I tell as many parents as I can about it.

The other thing was a Febrile Seizure:eek: . Apparently some kids get seizures if there is a rapid change in temperature. Dylan shot from 99 to 103 in 5 minutes and had a seizure. Found out that happens in kids up to 6 years old, too... and and Dylan's never had it before or after that one time. Scared the SHIT out of us...

Travis

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Only lawyers have more creative billing practices than Hospitals. Typical around here is you get billed by the Doctor for an office visit and a charge for whatever procedure he does. Then you get a bill from the hospital for all sorts of stuff that had nothing whatever to do with you waiting for 2 hours to have a doctor use a pair of tweezers in under 5 minutes. Things like Diagnostic Imaging to read the X-Rays they didn't take. Then there's the charge for the anestetics you didn't get, etc. They also send this bill to your insurance company. When you're insurance pays it because they only have the hospital's word on what they did, they'll still send you a bill with a late warning threating your credit. You'll also get a bill from the diagnostic imaging people because they assume since you're on the hospital's bill they must have done something. If you pay any of what the insurance paid you will NOT be notified of the overpayment. This is how they pay for illegal aliens, deadbeat dads, and welfare cases.

4. RF

RF

That reminded me of the last time I went in for an MRI. Right before I went in the big magnet tube, I asked the tech if having a piece of metal in my eye would pose any problems. He laughed and said, "only if you consider having your eyeball sucked out not being problematic! You're kidding, right?" I told him no, that I had been grinding welds earlier that day an some slag hit my eyeball, but figured it bounced off. He called off the MRI and ordered an immediate xray. He said he wasn't equipped to clean eyeball goo out of his tube, and I wasn't in the mood to experience it, regardless of how intriguing it sounded.

5. hey guys,

this is a concerning thread.. whats freaking me out is how its still possible to get shit in your eye wearing both safety glasses AND and face shield.

Danny

6. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I just spent 4 hours in the 'ole ER last Wed nite. Amputated my pinky on the right hand. I should see the bill some time this week. Ought to be interesting to say the least.

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Ask for the itemized list and then ask them if they have a payment plan or a reduced bill if you pay for it right away with a check/cash/credit card. You will be amazed of how much you will only have to pay if you don't have a lot of spending cash laying around. I had a buddy that was broke and ended up only paying 10 percent of the total bill and he set it up for payments of $25 dollars a month for five years.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I don't think you'll have that problem. More like spilling hot fancy coffee's in your lap as you go blasting thru downtown.:rolleyes:

I spent $1800 to have my 3 knuckles on my right hand reattached after punching out a truck window. Then another $300 when I got an infection in it. Best $2100 I have ever spent.:D

Brandy

9. 5window

5window

No doubt hospitals charge too much-but they can. Insurance and grants pay without asking-but they also pay at a discount. If you have insurance,you note the hospital acccepts the 40% or so of the bill Blue Cross offers. If you have no insurance, you pay full fare.

That being said, an ER is there when you need them,knows what to do,has the drugs and equipment to do it and has the highly trained,expensive to insure, staff to do it. I would bet an ER doc's insurance to be about $200K a year.

DOC on this board is an ER man, maybe he'll chime in. Our local animal emergency hospital charges about twice whiat I do. But they're the one's up all night and they've got drugs I can't afford to stock because they'd expire before I'd use them

By the way, if you have a fishhook stuck you have to push it through after cutting off the eye at the back.You can't pull it back against the barbs (right,fish?). My favorites are the three and four hook sets,stuck in some clever dog's mouth and all set in different directions.

10. Muttley

Muttley

Thats what steel toes are for.;)

11. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ohhhhhhhhh. Gotcha!:D

Dear Santa,
    Please bring me a pair of steel toed boots for those "moments".
    xx
    Brandy

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yup had the rororooter thing done to the eye 2x.yes I had safety glasses and face shield gotta wear the glasses if I want to find the shop !Now lets talk weld flash in the eyes weldin inside acid dipped SS fan shroud assembly for pratt&whitnetney jet engine

13. 2-TONED

2-TONED

last time i got metal in the eye the Doc says: hmmmmmmmm i see some foreign metal in your eye.
    i said oh WOW how'd you know i was workin on a toyota. :D

rust starts on the metal & nothin you can do but lay there & watch a big needle come down & pick'pick'pick at your eye it SUCKS THEY SHOULD PAY YOU TO LAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my Uncle got a big 'magnet' once & removed his own metal outta his eye!

14. Doc.

Doc.
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, how about some info straight from the horses mouth. I am a board certified ER physician and I can tell you how it is. First off, you never pay a doctor for his "time." You are paying for his expertise, and availability. Lets take the eye problem for example. If that doc who just saw you for a few minutes makes the wrong decision about your treatment you could loose your eye. There is a huge number of descisions that must be made even for a simple foreign body. How deep is it? Has it pierced the globe? Is there a rust ring? If so, does it need to be drilled? What is the visual acuity? Is the tetanus up to date? Is the patient allergic to the antibiotics you want to put him on? Will it interact with any medicines he is already taking? does he wear contacts? Is the foreing body: wood,metal,particulate matter?Are there any associated injuries? Has the patient been drinking? Is she pregnant? If so will the medicines harm the baby? Just to name a few. I'm sure that Ron Covell could whip out a nice hood scoop in no time. But you will pay for his skill too.

99 % of all emergency departments operate in the red. My ER lost about 4 million last year. You must pay for the building, electricity,equiptment, and staff. You must also fund the millions of dollars of treatment each year that is never reimbursed by patients who don't pay their bill. I pay more in malpractice insurance each year, than my mother has made the last five years at her job. The average collection rate in our ER is only about 30%. Could you operate a business where 70% of customers don't pay for your services? They are never considered money makers for a hospital. They are gateways to health care in the US. 24 hours a day seven days a week. If you have a problem and want someone to stand guard round the clock it isn't going to be cheap.
    As long as we feel like every one in the US is entitled to health care whether the pay or not. Hospitals will remain expensive.

Also, doctor's do not get to charge whatever they want for services provided. Congress has set up a system of RVU's (relative value equivalents)
    which tell a doctor what he can charge for his services. If you overcharge for this you go to jail. There are a few things that the government has not put a dollar value on. That's why you get a bill for 5.00 for a bandaid. It helps defer the cost of other items that the hospital must sell cheap regardless of what they actually cost. All medical reinbursement is on the decline, but the costs keep rising. And, only about 10% of all medical costs go to the doctor. If doctors all worked for free, your bill would only be reduced by about 10 %. You would have gotten a bill for the eye visit around $1,000.00 at my ER. My cut? about 90.00.

I once treated a lady in the ER who got drunk and fell down. She had an alcohol level of 450 (50 % of the us population would die from that alcohol level, It's called the L.D. 50). We restrained her for safety in the department. Her sister came in when we weren't looking and untied her because it was uncomfortable. She got up an fell again and broke a tooth. She sued me stating that I "did not protect her in her incapacitated state." Took 2 years and lots of money to defend. Grass is not always greener on the other side. That said, I do love my job.

Doc.

15. borndead327

borndead327

funny cause safety glasses are like 7 bucks

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Nope.Don't work. Boot gets stuck in the safety glass. Lets just not ask how I know.
    A baseball bat or crowbar seems to work pretty good tho'

17. Spook

Spook

A lot of people crap their pants when they break their thumb. Since you must not have done that I guess they figured you needed an enema even if you didn't get it.

18. Doc...

Thank you for telling how it is on the other side of the fence. I have had my share of visits to the emergency room for whatever reasons (Cut off tip of thumb by sticking it into a Corvair fan blade, nailed myself with a nailgun, shattered bones for various reasons... I may be deaf but I'm also stupid sometimes).

Fortunately for me I have insurance that covers everything except $50 when I go to an emergency room. I had no idea that all that stuff you just described was that bad.

Thank you for operating in the red. My two biggest fears in life are losing my eyes and losing my hands and I hope it never comes to that (despite trying to sawzall off my index finger not even 3 weeks ago! but I toughed that one out.)

I guess this goes to show that like all things in life, things aren't always greener on the other side of the fence despite how things look.

Travis

19. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I'm a freckin poster boy for safty goggles and yet still have a hard time wearing them. Spent lots of dough at the ER. I am learning the slow and expensive way...lol, But not really

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Well.....you guys may have far cheaper gas than us lot, but we've got the National Health Service. It's not perfect but it's damn good.

21. Mmmmm.... morphine........

22. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

yep had ther same thing happened to me but I had insurance.

My wife works for an insurance compnay- contact the hospital and find out if they can re bill using their usual and customary charges (usually much cheaper) also if you let them know you dont have insurance (if that is the case) they may work something out with you at a lower rate.

Most hospityals charge 10x what they get paid for servces by insurance so dont be afriad to speak up

23. JasonK

JasonK

Anything wrong with your eye,... got to an EYE Doctor!! Back in high school I was sanding on a car with my brother, (no eye protection, we were in high school and didn't have money for shit like that).... I got a large piece of paint in my eye. Mom takes me to our doctor, he looks at my eye give me some antibiotic to put in it, and put a patch on it for 3 days. We take the patch off, my eye is really fucked up looking. Mom takes me to the eye doctor. He flips my eyelid, pulls the paint particles out, a few days later my eye is as good as new....