Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EMERGENCY BRAKE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metaldave, May 10, 2015.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Dear fellow crazies ,I am trying to hook up an emergency brake. I have a Model A brake lever mounted to a 39 trans as per Vern Tardels book . There is a rod that goes from the brake lever through a hole in the k member that can act as an adjustment. I have a torque tube and 40 rear brakes. I have a cable that is one piece with fittings on each end to attach to the levers on the backing plates. The brake lever is off center . The books show that the cable runs along the radius rods to the front. How do you attach the cable to the adjuster rod and how do I compensate for the brake lever being off center? I know how it is done on a Model A with mechanical brakes. I know that you can get kits with sheathed cables but I want to do it like they did it in the old days. I want my car to have only pre 1960 parts and methods Thanks in advance Dave Miller

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I used a sheathed cable from a '35 Chevy (nice and short--only Chevy part on the build) to get the pull centered. I routed this from the Ebrake handle to a bracket I fabbed up to hold it on the rear radius rod torque tube mount which also serves as the mounting point for the rear brake lines. This is kind of like what they did on a '39-'48 Ford brake lines. I then used a Ford Clevis and the Ford horseshoe centered on the rear brake cable. PM me and I can see if I have pics.

Hope this helps

Pete