Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emergency brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 48flyer

48flyer

I have intalled a Ford 8 inch rear end from a Ford Grenada in my '48 Ford coupe.
    I'm looking for an emergency brake kit that I can use my original handle and cable with. I thought someone made a kit that went from original to the 8 inch rear, but can not remember who it was.
    Has anyone here used one of these, and who makes it?
    Thanks
    Todd

2. Deuces

Deuces

Stainless Steel Brakes maybe??? Look them up on the net..

3. Ole don

Ole don

LOKAR has a nice set of cables. If you still have the original rear axle, check to see if the original cable will fit the Granada axle. The way the cable connects on the ends was the same for a long time.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

You might consider fabricating a total custom set-up. You're probably going to have to do some adapting or custom work with a kit to your original handle mechanism anyway. Besides, I do know that the Lokar kit is pretty pricey. I'm not such a great mechanic & I pulled off a functional E-brake set-up from my hot rod flat steel floor to my 9" rear, with drum brakes. I used a handle from a Toyota (gasp!) & wire cables & cable ends from Home Depot. I found some cable housings/guides (whatever you call them) & misc. brackets in the salvage yard off of some Ford Taurus, I think. It's not that complicated, just a bit tedious. Just some food for thought.

5. On a 40 I put together for a friend a few years back, I used the stock 40 handle, 40 replacement front cable, running down inside the driver's side frame rail. Anchored it there, then made a joiner to 2 custom length cables from the e-brakes. The passenger cable was long and met the drivers isde one, at same location in the frame rail. The custom cables were universal kits from jobber-sorry don't have the kit numbers anymore.

6. this is the best way to go about it. a good parts store guy [rare but out there] will give you some idea what cables you need to get to the front cable. i hate using the lokar e brakes with their annoying little set screws and lack of space to pull the cables tight.