Register now to get rid of these ads!

embossing(??) drilled holes in bear claw mounting plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PonchoJohn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

I hope that makes sense... I have bear claw latches and an install kit that I want to put in my truck. I noticed the latches are threaded, but not all the way to the top. The latch mounting plate is just a flat piece of metal; so I'm wondering if I should emboss (I don't know if that's the correct term) the latch plate mounting holes so they fit snugly into the latch's mounting holes, or if the latches would be fine with just a flat mounting plate?? If so, what should I use to form the embossing?
    Any words of wisdom or advice?
    Thanks!
    John

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

If you mean putting a taper on the mounting plate holes, sometimes that's a good idea. In combination with a taper head fastener, it allow for clearance between the door jamb and the body jamb. Sometimes, it gets a bit crowded with the head of a bolt sticking into the jamb area. I've used a spare taper head fastener and socket or pipe in a vise and tap the fastener to create the mounting plate taper. Good luck. Stu

3. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant! :)
    I'll try that method.