Register now to get rid of these ads!

Emails from Iraq

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPSHOP, Jan 16, 2010.

1. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Any shops/peeps out there getting a lot of emails lately from people who claim to be in Iraq and 'when they get back' want to have their cars worked on/painted?
    :confused::confused::confused:
    I've had a slew (at least 10-12) in the past 2 months . Not sure if they are legit or a phishing scheme or what so I'm asking here if you guys are getting them as well.

If you happen to be a HAMBer in Iraq- maybe you can shed some light on this for me as it just seems really coincidental ...Thanks

2. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Hello, well I am not in Iraq but, I have been there and I am in Kuwait today. I think part of it is that we have time to think about what we would rather be doing. It also keeps our minds on more pleasant things instead of what is actually going on in our world.

3. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Hey man- first of all- THANKS for being there- takes guts to do what you are doing....:)

Im just finding it VERY strange that the emails all say basically the same thing....
    here is an example of the one I got today...

i am currently in iraq. i will be home in a month an a half,and i wanted to get my car painted and windows tinted before i return home.

Just find it odd that they are all almost identical..

I just actually ran the IP address and found its thru:
    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

sounds like a phishing scam.. Just weird.

4. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

It could be a phishing scam we get them here from Australia all the time. But as was stated above having been to iraq there is alot of time to think about life at home. I personally have taken a few phone calls from fellow brothers in arms here at the shop and have made a few of the inquiries myself from overseas but if they all are similar and worded exactly just have a different name lookout!

5. myascape

myascape

I did some buying from Iraq in 2005, mostly through Ebay, but I also provided my gov't email address because some free mail services have a tough time getting through, and .mil addresses always seem to make it.

6. Freeland

Freeland

i too browsed the internet looking for nifty things that were not of an iraqi nature... as stated by "myascape" id look for them to pm from a .mil, generally it is the first name dot last name @us.army.mil as it is in my case...

7. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

good to know.

8. Thank you for your service. When I was over there few years back we could not even log onto a free email account. We had to use our military account.

I was Air Force. So the email would be something like this

[email protected]

But all services end in MIL I believe so thats how you would know. Also you could asked them to use there military account to see if they are for real...

9. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dunno....

BUT seeing as it looks as if I'm getting mobilized in the future I'll ask around while I'm there :)

10. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I'm in Baghdad and it seems like a lot of emails asking the same or similar questions? I'd be kinda wary of them!

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Have you ever replied to one asking what kind of car they have?